HybridZ

Cutting a hole/drilling in cast iron.. whats the best way?

Alright, I really don't have a good way to jig it up so its gonna take a bit.

Can I drill with a holesaw without using a pilot bit? This manifold is divided, and I am cutting the hole where the pilot bit would not be able to penetrate completely so it would be drilling pretty deep for no real reason.

Evan

It still shouldn't be that hard to do, as once the holesaw has 2 points to drill between it should stay straight enough to continue. I did mine freehand, with the pilot bit protruding only 3/8 - 1/4" past the end of the holesaw itself and it stayed true. Just take your time and remember, a holesaw can jerk the drill right out of your hand (if you're using a hand drill) if it binds, so keep it as straight as possible. It did, however, take quite some time to drill through it.

Everyone says that the exhaust manifold is cast iron, but I believe it's properties to be more along the lines of cast steel. If you grind on it, it turns shiny like steel, not black like iron. If you weld on it, it takes the weld just like steel. I'm not totally convinced that it is in fact iron, but that's just from my experiences. Your (and others') mileage may vary.

I ended up doing it with a holesaw and a hand drill. Decided it would be too big of a pain to make it stay where I wanted it in the press.

Warren hit the nail on the head, slow, and WD40 worked well as a lubricant.

I drilled an 1/8" pilot an followed it up with a 5/16 then the holesaw.

Evan