HybridZ

Projected spark plug vs non-projected

Thumper

FYI. I was just reading up on spark plugs again and found out what the heck "K" means in bkr6es-11. It means a different height of the plug and a 5/8 hex not a 13/16. At first I thought it was for a projected tip but misread something thus the title of the topic. So you really shouldn't order a bkr6es-11 over a br6es-11 since the spark plug boot won't have as much to grip and you will have to switch spark plug sockets. So don't do my mistake. Funny thing is I have been running bkr6es for over 4 years. Not a big thing but next spark plug change I'll switch back. FYI

Also FYI if you plan to run less than .040 gap do not run the -11. This is for a extended gap of .040 more.

But if you want to debate project plugs vs non-projected you can. Only difference I've read is that it adds 4 degrees of timing since it starts the combustion earlier. So a bpr6es running 16 degrees is like a br6es running 20 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...

I have run both of the plugs. Seems the non projected plug is a little less prone to detonation under high boost.

I cant prove it, but it would appear that the electrode becomes to hot, similar to a glow plug. That ignites the fuel to early and you know whaty happens after that, the engine loses power and knocks.

Any other comments or observations on the two from someone?