HybridZ

The real reason I am not a pro fabricator... pics of my new DP inside

This is made from 3" mandrel bent tubing for my rb25det in my s14 240sx. I still have to add the V band at the bottom, and drill for o2 sensor bungs. Also gotta do the pipe from my tial wastegate to the downpipe.

I tacked these together in my apartment complex building with a wire feed LOL. I hope they let me renew my lease HAHA.

So I guess its not totally done, but its been awhile since I have done any fab. I am working around the steering shaft which runs right under the outlet on the turbo.

Getting it close to the floor as reasonably possible was my goal. I am sick of dragging my exhaust!!!

My old one did not have the fitment that I was happy with, its a couple years old and rusty too!

Evan

New turbo pictures 004_thumb.jpg

New turbo pictures 002_thumb.jpg

New turbo pictures 003_thumb.jpg

Haha, I know about the O2 sensor placement, my old location was just about right. I am going to locate them in a more inconspicuous spot this time.

I cut the tubing with a jigsaw, which sucked.

Evan

Yeah I hated using my jigsaw/cut-off wheel so I started to use a regular skill saw with a metal cutting blade. It helped make the lines alot straighter and easier to weld. Also I was able to cut it alot faster.

Another option would be take it to any muffler shop and they should be able to cut all you want for $10. Probably the same cost of buying blades but then you will need to know where to cut.

Actually I had seriously considered putting one on my balcony. Can you imagine being below me sipping a drink and metal shavings start falling from above into your hair/drink/eyes? HAHA

Evan

LOL thats why top floor is best. Plus you get a small work out going up and down the stairs.

Not bad. Remember to put the o2 sensor 6-12" away. Not too close not to far:flamedevi Nice shoe:mrgreen:
Is this in general or specific to this application? I have heated sensors, but they are located several feet downstream from my heads. Could this be an issue on my installation?

Is this in general or specific to this application? I have heated sensors, but they are located several feet downstream from my heads. Could this be an issue on my installation?

The biggest problem further downstream is that it takes longer to warm the o2 sensor up to an operating temp. Even a heated oxygen sensor needs to be warmed up by the exhaust. 2-3' might be a problem 1-2' prob not worth the time to relocate. IMHO Good luck

Widebands will work darn near anywhere except in the first 6" after the turbo. They will heat themselves up and be ready before about any engine is ready for closed-loop operation. The only downside to long distance mounting might be a very very slight reaction issue. I've never noticed a problem either tuning or watching the car hum along in closed loop with such a situation.

Mark

I did a LOT of looking around about this when I placed my inovative wideband in my exhaust. I ended up putting it about mid-way between the wheels. I did this because of how easily it allowed me to run the wires into the cockpit and it allowed me to put the sensor perfectly vertical - extending its service life.

For those people that think that a few feet is too far away - consider that if you go to the dyno... they only stick the wideband sensor a foot from the back of your exhaust tip (as far into the pipe as they can reach). As long as FRESH air doesn't come into the exhaust pipe and reach the sensor between pulses you are fine.