HybridZ

LQ4, FI or carb?

There are just too damn many options with engines to swap in.

I'm looking at an LQ4 that a relatively local guy has for sale, details below:

2005 LQ4 6.0 iron block

Aluminum heads (gasket matched)

New GM Performance Headgaskets

New GM Performance Headbolts

Edelbrock Victor Jr. Carburetor Intake (p/n 29087)

Edelbrock Shorty Headers (p/n 65023)

Edelbrock Performer 750 cfm Carburetor (p/n 1411)

MSD 6-LS Ignition System (p/n 6010 - NOT the one that's included in the Edelbrock kit. This is the programmable 6-LS)

MSD Extension Harness (p/n 60101)

I initially was thinking that I would go LSx to go FI and do whatever necessary to integrate it to the car. but this way its sorta KISS methodology as I get to keep my fuel system as it is etc.

Would it be worth it to pull off the intake, carb and msd thing to revert it to FI ? or should I just run it the way it is?

Thoughts comments?

I would it the way it was an plan on in the future switching it to FI. Carbed LS engines usually if tuned correctly pull better peak numbers on the dyno. And you would have more time saving up for all the little things you would need to to the FI swap so you can do it once and do it right,

Depends on what you want to do. If you have smog checks or want to use the car as a daily driver, especially in a cold weather state, then FI might be worth the effort.

But from a pure perfromance view, every mag write up I have seen shows the carbs usually match the FI HP wise. The carb'd LS motors actually do better HP wise with larger displacement stroker motors and higher RPM motors due to the open plenum design of the vic jr.

If you do go FI, that intake, ignition and carb could probably be sold for over a grand, even used.

Plus carb'd motors look pretty cool in a Z.

engineWcarb.jpg

This will be primarily a 'pleasure' vehicle for my wife and I, as it is now. I do take it for sales calls on th odd friday afternoon or saturdays and likewise my wife takes it to the office on occasion.

We live in Canada, eh. But the car gets put away as soon as it hits 10*C or less (err 50*F?) as the tires turn to hockey pucks (the round black things we play ice hockey with...lol) so cold weather isn't a huge issue.

Performance wise for now (those words wil haunt me i'm sure) I'm just looking at doing a small-med cam and necessary valvetrain mods to it. Down the road as need be I'll go nuts with a big head/cam combo but i'm hoping thats at least a year or two AFTER the swap... i'll eat those words for sure.

Looks like Carb for now and switch to FI down the road if it pans out that way.

I just wish the guy selling the motor would answer his damn emails..lol

thanks guys

jason

Has anyone used a carb intake, like the Vic Jr, with a GM TBI setup? I imagine tuning would be easier, as would economy.

Pretty common to FI the carb'd intakes. Go to ls1tech.com and look around. The intakes are drilled for injectors. People put a 90° top on it. Suppose to work better for larger displacement motors.

depends on how much the guy wants for that motor and everything... how much does he want for it?

if you are going to do a carb.. id go big block chevy.. building a big block and building an LSx based motor are about the same.. and both fit in the chassis fine...

i would say that you should do fuel injection. you can get LQ4s for $1000 for a complete motor. the way you would do it is get a LQ4. put L92 heads on it. a L92 carbed intake drilled for injectors, cam and then a 4 barrel throttle body on top of it.. but thats just what i plan on doing..