HybridZ

How to prevent vacuum hose from collapsing?

Zmanco

I'm running some heater hose between my idle control valve and the intake manifold. Not surprisingly, the hose is beginning to collapse from the vacuum. It still flows more than enough when the engine is warm, but at cold start it's restricting things so I want to prop it open.

I was thinking if I could find a coiled spring made of thin wire that I might be able to insert that into the hose. But so far I haven't found any sources for the spring. Anyone here have any suggestions for spring sources, or other ways to keep the hose from collapsing?

Resize of P1000612_thumb.JPG

Thanks guys, those are some good ideas.

I had thought about the hose clamp but dismissed it because I thought it would just collapse the hose further. But I'll start there - it's too simple not to.

I got the valve on ebay from an old Audi 90. It's a bosch 3 wire ICV used on a lot of European cars - don't know if it's the same for BMW. I can look up the part number if anyone is interested.

Hmmmm.... Like a hose clamp lol

Heh. Yeah, I noticed your reply just ahead of mine once the browser refreshed after I posted. Being at work meant I had to post and run.

I've heard something about minds that think alike, but I wonder about the great part, considering at what level I'm usually working! :D