HybridZ

Holset hy35w to garret twin imput actuater

rvandivort

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok--thanks for the quick response! As I understand it, from previous threads one vacuum line goes to the comp housing(as I can tell from looking at the Holset in front of me with original actuator) the other to the intake manifold. So, how does a manual boost work on this setup---or not?

save yourself alot of headache, have the internal gate welded shut and convert to external wastegating. MUCH more stable than trying to get a turbo that was designed to operate at 30psi to puts along at 10psi on the stock actuator.

I have not had any problems with mine running up to 20psi or so, I would think I helped most at very high boost, How does the external help besides being able to dump more exhaust quicker?

I have not had any problems with mine running up to 20psi or so, I would think I helped most at very high boost, How does the external help besides being able to dump more exhaust quicker?

The amount of porting i have seen done, which took it to the very limits of the puck itself, still produced a turbo which would spike/creep in higher RPM's.

Granted i've never used one with a dual reference actuator which might have a greater travel capability than the stock units i've seen fanagled into there uses.

The way i've come to look at it is much along the same lines of people who will choose to retap there turbos center sections for standard size threads. You can take a part, and modify and modify and modify till maybe it will work on the intended task. Or you can get the right part for the job the 1st time around and save yourself some busted knuckles, wasted gaskets, and half a bottle of asprin.

I've done the holset setup both ways, i even got pretty darn good at modulating the boost with just throttle control, but of all the methods i have tried or seen tried. The simplest, and most effective, was going external.

Not to mention, it's a part that will grow with your car, so if you change turbo's down the line your already set.

my .02.