HybridZ

Mechanical to Electric Fuel Pump Conversion

Doc Hawk

Is there a writeup for this conversion? I've searched all of the terms above in all their glorious combinations, and haven't found anything. I believe it would consist of the following simple steps:

- Remove mechanical pump and install cover plate on head

- Run a wire from the ignition "on" position to the electric fuel pump

... run through a relay? through an inertial switch? Opinions?

- Install electric pump in the standard position under the car, right side, behind rear wheel, near tank.

- Run a ground from pump to frame

... Ground at rear? Run ground back up to engine bay?

- Install a fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay

Anything missing, or is it that simple?

Is there a writeup for this conversion? I've searched all of the terms above in all their glorious combinations, and haven't found anything. I believe it would consist of the following simple steps:

- Remove mechanical pump and install cover plate on head

- Run a wire from the ignition "on" position to the electric fuel pump

... run through a relay? through an inertial switch? Opinions?

- Install electric pump in the standard position under the car, right side, behind rear wheel, near tank.

- Run a ground from pump to frame

... Ground at rear? Run ground back up to engine bay?

- Install a fuel pressure regulator in the engine bay

Anything missing, or is it that simple?

You will need a relay. The relay should get its power from the battery. Also find out what fuel pressure your carbs need. And get the correct fuel pump and pressure regulator.

Your Z should already have a power wire back by the tank were the electric fuel pump should go. You can get power off that. It has a ground also.

The one thing highly recommended is to put in a fuel pump cut off in case you get in a wreck and the engine dies. The JTR manual recommends an oil pressure switch. You tap into the fuel pump power wire in the passenger's compartment footwell. I bought a Mr Gasket piece for a few dollars from Jegs.

You can buy electric fuel pumps that are self requlating. Technically with such a pump you won't need a regulator and can even get by without a return line. Mallory's Comp 110 is such a pump.

How elaborate you need to get sort of depends on how stout your engine is and wether you race it competitively.

Here is a good site with more info than you are looking for

http://www.centuryperformance.com/fuel.asp