HybridZ

Anyone seen an LQ4 swap done?

Yulp, goin with the JCI Shaft

Thinking about skipping out on the LS6 intake and just saving big money and going L92/L76 heads/intake.

People have been making insane power with that setup.

In Hot Rod magazine, engine edition, they tested a LQ4 with L92/L76 setup and a decent Crane Cam ONLY THOSE TWO MODS and the damn thing made something around 450 fwhp and crazy torque. :burnout:

truck intake is FUGLY as hell...

I dont have money to put anywhere else :P

Christmas money is going towards wheels and tires - 03 Cobra style black with 245's on front 275's rear :D

Yeah, I'll agree with that. It's pretty much the ugliest thing you could have sit atop your engine. Plus I don't know if it will fit under the Z hood. Let us know if it does!

has any one done a lq9 the predecessor to the lq4 or also known as the vortec max wich came in the caddys ext with 10.1 comp. i read it is supposed to be basically the same motor but high output. if this is true wouldnt it be a better swap than the lq4

I wouldn't call it a predecessor, just a higher compression version of the same engine. The only difference between the two is that the LQ4 has dished pistons and not as strong rods.

I wouldn't call it a predecessor, just a lower compression version of the same engine. The only difference between the two is that the LQ4 has dished pistons and not as strong rods.

well this kida summed it for me i think i will be moving on to one of the lq/ls motors when i do my swap nexted year since an rb looks to be a nightmare with all the "i cant find this part but overseas and it cost 350 plus shipping" <..... and thats where my opinion switched for the good ole domestic GM/Chevy V8 unless i can get my hands on a 5.0cammer by ford :flamedevi

There is no reason not to go with the LQ4, as it is pretty cheap for the complete pullout next to the comparable LS1 setup. It does have the iron block, so there is a weight penalty, but nothing too dramatic.

Here is an LQ4 going into a 240Z. The block was painted with "chrome in a can" and the pic has the stock oil pan on it and the F-body pan is at least 2"+ more shallow, so it would hang down WAY too much to use on a Z.

Vortec2Small.jpg

Vortec3Medium.jpg

i really dont think the extra 100lbs is going to make to much of a difference since most s30s and s130s run very light as is i think the number for my coupes wieght was somthing like 2900 or so (i cant remember the official scaled weight). but the power to weight will make up for the 100lbs. hell lq's make 300hp out the box thats nearly 2x's the power of a l28.

on another note i dont know if this has been mentioned and havent searched for it yet but does anyone know what the stock springs can hold if you swap in a v8 ( i had a grand national v6 and swaped to a early model sbc and had to get the reagal v8 springs to pick up the nose) would this be the same with a v8 swap in a z

My engine is in along with the tranny and the springs are holding it up pretty much exactly the same heighth as it sat with the original engine.

I put my engine in with the truck pan first just to see how really bad it was... oil pan without the cars suspension messed with sits about 2" off the ground.. it would be gone in about 2 seconds. Got the LS1 F-body pan instead and it works mucho better.

• 3 weeks later...