HybridZ

Glasspacks?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've heard a lot about exhaust systems on this forum and by and large they seem to be expensive, unwieldy, or corked up. I was wondering if anyone has tried running glasspacks attached to the rocker panels. I have side skirts on my z, and am considering cutting the bottoms off of them and tucking glasspacks underneath them. if anyone has tried this, let me know

quote:

Originally posted by ZCarKid:

I've heard a lot about exhaust systems on this forum and by and large they seem to be expensive, unwieldy, or corked up.

Ummm, expensive relative to what? I'm sure one could get by with a $200 exhaust job, but I'm not an average person with an average car. Custom fabrication costs money, even for an exhaust. There are "cheap" people like me on the forum who get the maximum performance they can for the least amount of money--we make our decisions based on what we read. Yes, we do make mistakes and post our opinions. There are millionaires on this site who ceramicote their mandrel bent systems like Pete wink.gif

By unwieldy I'm assuming you mean loud? If that is the case, loud is a matter opinion.

"Corked up" means that some of us have small systems on big motors, yes? A few of us run a single 2.5" exhaust on mild 350's, but that will do fine...I'm running a single 3" system that will do great for up to at least 400hp...

As far as running glass packs under the rockers, well, anything is possible. Just remember that you do not want to cut the rocker panels on your car if at all possible; they have structural characteristics. But if you run a full tube frame, who cares? Have you measured for ground clearance for this idea? I'm guessing that your car is stock height, yes?

Click to the pictures on http://www.zcarsonline.com and find a black Z in the show--it has side pipes, but not "glass packs." This looks to be a fairly expensive alternative to a standard exhaust system. Have you used the archives and searched out the exhaust topics? This has come up more than once.

Guest harth

When I was a teenager I received a ticket for excessive noise while I was winding up my 1964 U.S.S. IMPALA, I'll never run those again, Michael 280ZZ4

Guest Anonymous

My experience with them years ago was they need a resonator behind them (smaller glasspack or metal baffle) to take some of the rasp out of them. Particularly when the glass gets worn they get real demolition derby sounding.. smile.gif

Just a observation, but if you use them behind something, you probably have to: A: recess the rocker panels because most glasspacks use a 4" case. B: put some heat shielding of some sort between them and whatever covers them. Just a opinion. Dual 2.5's would probably handle a good portion of the engines that get put in these cars IMHO, some go larger, but unless your running some hi flow engine larger is probably worth diminishing returns vs ground clearance and weight.

Regards and Welcome to HybridZ,

Lone

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited April 12, 2001).]

ZCarKid

The people here on HybridZ have varying priorities, objectives, financial means, sound level acceptance, talent, and power levels.

If you think they are expensive, unwieldly, or corked up, we welcome a different point of view! Just show us your ideas and finished products. I'd love to hear about the details of how you go about this project. Water cooled sidepipes are something I recently read about in a Rod and Custom magazine - that'd be different too.

DavyZ, that's actually a stainless ceramic coating, not Cermacote, which is Aluminum ceramic. Stays shiny longer, etc. costs the same. Scottie turned me on to it.

My exhaust is probably the most expensive one I've heard of here, might be unweildly (not sure what you meant by that) but it's definitely not corked up for my uses. It will handle 400+ hp, if I ever upgrade to that power level.

To each his own, is the motto here. If it's not for you that's fine. But three derogatory words to describe what people are doing is a bit negative for my taste.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Guest needwaymorespeed
Originally posted by pparaska:

ZCarKid

The people here on HybridZ have varying priorities, objectives, financial means, sound level acceptance, talent, and power levels.

I second that pete, it semms that in the last couple of months theres been some unessecary coments made about peoples projects. I think it all goes back to priorities how important is this to you Ive made some sacrifices to build my car to where it is yes I think itll be nice when done but theres alot of time and money into it.but just because itll have nice somponents on it doesant men that im rich-Wish I were- and if I was rich then others should stop being jealous and use that energy to better there financial status!!

I read some of these posts and start thinking were in kindergarten again.

lets stop thrashing peoples nice rides especially when these guys are so willing to help everyone out with there hard earned knowledge.

Pete youre car is a work of art I love youre exhaust system, talk about a labor of love, but I might beat you on that,Im going full stainless steel-

can already hear all the digs coming

Curtis

Hey Guys! Lets not let this get blown out of proportion. To each his own and so on and so forth. Everyone enjoy your Easter weekend! Mike...All Z's Rule.

Zfan, I don't think this is getting blown out of proportion. But when I start seeing negativity with respect to talking about how people do stuff to their projects, I WILL make a statement - that's my job as an administrator/moderator. This site is NOT supposed to have that kind of tone, and I WILL NOT put up with it.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

IMO we are all here to help eachother find better solutions to problems that have already been solved.

Unfortunately, the people who were happy with the original solution might not be happy with you! Witness all the anti-V8 guys on other sites. *ahem*

You do need to say what you think is wrong with the current solutions in order to have a useful discussion, but there is always more than one way to say something.

Also, when you are reading something, it is better not to ascribe to malice that which could simply be a lack of tact.

If ZCarKid really thought everyone's exhaust system sucked, he probably wouldn't have come here for help.

With all due respect, the tone of his post started with three negative generalizations about the exhaust systems guys use in this forum. That is a fact: read his post again if you don't believe me. I answered in a very candid manner, addressing each of his assumptions. I then added a smiley and put in my $.02 of advice which he asked for. This is somehow jumping on his case??? Am I missing something here?? Or as Lone would say, "Well roll me in chocolate & nuts and call me O'Henry!"

Guest Anonymous

Whoa chaps (waving white flag, no not one lap left..). In the spirit of Easter, lets put aside this argument. Give the benefit of the doubt, I don't think it was his intention in his generalizations to necessarily single out anyones system at least I'd like to give him that benefit of doubt and that courtesy.

I know we're vigilent on here to keep that sort of comment in check so we don't go the way of the 'other' Z board and surely the moderators are within they're rights to call attention to it. Lets just back it off a few notches and not escalate this any further please? (still waving white flag..)

Respectfully,

Lone

ps: this is a bad sign, this is post #666 for me... eek.gif

------------------

http://datsun240v8z.virtualave.net/index.html

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited April 13, 2001).]

I'll say it again. Unnecessary negativity about others ideas is not tolerated on this site. I and the other moderators will take action if we see it, it's as simple as that.

Now I realize that my voicing concern over it brought the boiler pressure up a bit, but that is the price we pay for keep things in check. The alternative is to have this place turn into a typical Internet car forum site.

Hrm, glasspacks in the rockers? First and foremost - glasspacks aren't the be all end all with regards to flow. Depending upon which you buy you may find that they cork the motor up worse than a good flow-through muffler like a Flowmaster! Noise doesn't equal power - lately some tests have even found that motors can make MORE power with a muffler - if done right. If you like the sound go for it but I don't think it's what I'll be using.

Lastly, if you put those in the rockers they will get pretty hot. Is there not room elsewhere under the car? I know you're not talking about cutting the steel but putting them in the covers but I'd think that burning the pain would be a big concern. My RX7 has melted a bit of the rear fascica fromthe TIP of the exhaust getting hot - I can't imagine what it would be like further forward. My Mustang's stainless tips get pretty hot too so it's not just the rotories added heat. Maybe consider moving them up by the driveshaft? Since the rear isn't "live" you'd have less worries about the driveshaft moving around. Cooking the console would be an issue maybe?

I dunno' - if you try it let us know how it works out. I'm leaning towards some of those stainless Rice mufflers like I see on 300ZXs or a set of DynoMax Ultras. The Ultras would be cheaper and probably quieter (?) but not look as good. A few ponies sacrificed to backpressure is no big deal to me, I'll save my hearing at least....

oh i smell tension.... its all in the intent

that hybrid s's rule, were all gonna bump heads every now and again. i really like the idea of rice rocket mufflers, i am actually gong to really rocket my z out, im going 3" straight pipe into a three inch two chamber flowmaster muffler with the riceinist tip known to man buddy!

i dont like glasspacks imho, they sound like you have a crazy exhaust leak, you can only run those with hydraulics......

Hey, Guys!

Those of you who poo-poo the tone of glasspacks are probably referring to the typical el-cheapo "one pack per pipe" setup to be had from the corner shop advertising "Duals - $99". I've had glasspacks with headers on my '73, and they were everything you're saying. Obnoxiously loud, torque-stealing monsters that droned incessantly on the freeway. I swore then and there that I'd never use them again.

The glasspack muffler on my '74 however, (also header-equipped) has a 12 inch resonator installed about halfway down the pipe, and it changes the character completely. It puts out pleasantly burbly sounds at idle, is as quiet as a typical performance turbo muffler on the freeway, and snarls quite nicely when you bury the accelerator pedal and rev it up.

Just like most other things, glasspacks work better as part of a properly designed system.

Now, as far as ultimate performance is concerned, I'll shut up and let someone else handle that issue. All I know about is how they sound.

Scott Ferguson

1974 260-Z - soon to be V8 equipped...

youre right, the glasspacks i was talking about are the ones that you can get at kragen

for 19.99 each or something like that,

crappy, i rode in a 69 impala with dual "paks" and the driver couldnt resist revving the crap out of them everywhere, and to me they sounded like complete ...yah

a good setup i have yet to see, the only car i can know that justifies glasspacks is the ac cobra, they just belong on one. resonators

and stuff huh? we needa sound byte!!!!!!!

Guest Drewz

Flo Pro makes a "glasspak" stle muffler that is 16ga. steel fully welded body for cars that have a room problem in the exhaust area. It is almost straight through but its innards look just like a flute from the inside of a grain ogger. Very heavy duty and supports inlets and outlets of up to 4 inch! The traditional glasspak muffler is filled with a fiberglass packing that blows out over time and in the province I am from your vehicle can be pulled off the road if you do not run a tradional bodied muffler. Many prestigious magazines have run dyno tests on mufflers/glasspaks/straight pipes and found that a full exhaust with a high flow muffler that matches the motor and pipes properly will ALMOST ALWAYS produce a better rusult on a street car than glasspaks and even straight pipes.Sidepipes have been, on average, about 15% more resrtictive than most other free flow exhaust system alternatives. I managed a Midas for 4 1/2 years so this was an area I have had a great interest in order to give my customers what they wanted and needed. The newest muffler on the market that has caught my eye is the Ravin's. This puppy is very inpressive looking and the structure is sweet. It is a straight through design with a twist and the dyno results that are coming out from them and their competition look real good as well. These are just my opinions and my experiences here so judge for yourselves.

smile.gif keep it clen and real people wink.gif

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/andrewzcars

Drewz