HybridZ

N42-non EGR manifold

JessZ

I have access to one of these manifolds. I'm in the process of cleaning up my engine and bay. I'm running a stock 83et in my 240z. Due to the lack of webbing on the manifold and the weather in California, does anyone know if the N42 will propose problems with fuel delivery? I've read a few posts here and a couple comments suggested the N42 would be a problem due lack of heat shielding.

You should have no problems with an non EGR N42 manifold, provided you use the factory heat sheild.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=FFFFFF&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2071000-2071999/2071134_14_full.jpg

Ceramic coating the exhaust, intake and the heat shield doesn`t hurt either.

You will not have a problem with fuel heating up. I am running one myself without the heat shielding (defeats the purpose of the non-webbing to then run heat shields).

I fabricated some brackets to attach to my Pallnet fuel rail and run the fuel line in-plane with the fuel rail.

(defeats the purpose of the non-webbing to then run heat shields).

How so? My thinking would be that the factory heat shield reflects the heat away from the intake, and the lack of webbing then allows more airflow around the runners. Seems like they complement each other to me.

How so? My thinking would be that the factory heat shield reflects the heat away from the intake, and the lack of webbing then allows more airflow around the runners. Seems like they complement each other to me.

One of the big reasons for running the non-webbed manifold was mentioned by hughdogz, MUCH easier access to the exhaust nuts/bolts with the engine in car. Hell, getting the factory heat shields off my '75 was not near easy or fun, and I wound up with a few scars. I found when taking apart my '83 donor that the factory turbo setup is worse.

One of the big reasons for running the non-webbed manifold was mentioned by hughdogz, MUCH easier access to the exhaust nuts/bolts with the engine in car. Hell, getting the factory heat shields off my '75 was not near easy or fun, and I wound up with a few scars. I found when taking apart my '83 donor that the factory turbo setup is worse.

Exactly. I can swap a head gasket in 2.5 hours and the intake/exhaust gasket in 1.25 hours because I no longer have webbing and heat shields.

I remember when I first got into Zs, reading numerous times about how easy the L6 was to maintain and work on. The second thing I did on mine (first was valve cover gasket) was the manifold gasket. I remember thinking someone had to be out of their mind to call that an easy job.

When mine goes all back together again, I will be running the factory '75 N42 intake and a turbo. I doubt highly I'll use the heat shield. If I do, I will most certainly take off a good bit of material on the inboard side.

I guess most of the times that I had heard discussions on the non-webbed manifold, it was more in the guise of trying to keep the manifold temps lower. If that's important to you, then the heat shield is important.

I agree that removing it would definitely make the install easier, but it kind of seems like a false economy when the result could be lowered resistance to detonation from increased intake air temps, especially on a turbo motor.

Personally, I try to do as much as I can to keep the exhaust heat away from the intake and keep the intake air temps cool. And yes it is harder to install that way.

I guess most of the times that I had heard discussions on the non-webbed manifold, it was more in the guise of trying to keep the manifold temps lower. If that's important to you, then the heat shield is important.

I agree that removing it would definitely make the install easier, but it kind of seems like a false economy when the result could be lowered resistance to detonation from increased intake air temps, especially on a turbo motor.

Personally, I try to do as much as I can to keep the exhaust heat away from the intake and keep the intake air temps cool. And yes it is harder to install that way.

I couldn`t agree with Tim more, anything that can be done to keep heat away from the intank charge especially on a turbo motor should be done. At idle temp differences of almost 80* were confirmed with a laser thermometer with and without a ceramic coated heat shield. Nissan engineers put the heat shield there for a reason and putting the heat shield in place is a cheap ( not especially easy) way to reduce the intank charge temps.

ceramiccoatedexhaustpj8.jpg

ceramiccoatedintakemanixd8.jpg

An effort was made to deal with the inherent temp problems of the L series non crossflow head.

I believe between ceramic coating the manifold and turbine housing, and using a turbo blanket, the heat transfer would be kept to a respectable level. I'm not against a heat shield that covers the top/sides of the turbo, just one that covers the entire underside of the intake. I just dont like things that are unneededly difficult.

I believe between ceramic coating the manifold and turbine housing, and using a turbo blanket, the heat transfer would be kept to a respectable level. I'm not against a heat shield that covers the top/sides of the turbo, just one that covers the entire underside of the intake. I just dont like things that are unneedly difficult.

I tend to view the coatings as more of an enhancement to, rather than a substitute for the heat shield. It's going to be hard to beat the effectiveness of the heat shield with just coatings. That said, coatings with the heat shield would be even better. When I was using that style manifold, I went so far as to coat the heat shield itself - they actually look pretty sharp in the JetHot silver.