HybridZ

Should I get another S30 for my 2JZ swap?

JustinOlson

I'm at the point where I'm getting close to being ready to swap in my 2jz into my 77 280z. I'm beginning to think I would be happier finding another S30 chassis for the swap so that I don't have to tear apart a perfectly good chassis with a rebuilt motor. I also would have to figure out how to get the 2JZ through emissions with the engine swap. My current plan for the 2JZ is to do a 5" side dump exhaust with a single muffler behind the passenger side front tire. This obviously wont pass emissions in my 280z as it came with a catalytic converter from the factory. I would have to weld up a DEQ exhaust to get the car through emissions. If I was going to source another S30, I'd get a Pre 75 car so that I wouldn't have to go through emissions test up here in Oregon.

I was just hoping for some insight on this. I already have enough car projects, so another car isn't really wanter per say. I just don't want to tear apart a perfectly good running car for the swap. The 280z motor was replaced less then 10k miles ago by the previous owner. Makes me feel kinda bad yanking it out and setting it in storage. I have all of the roll cage tubing being delivered tomorrow so I'm getting close to going one way or the other in this decision.

Regards,

Justin Olson

PS,

Anyone have a rolling chassis pre 1975 S30 in the NW that they want to sell for a reasonable price?