HybridZ

rb30 rods? found these on ebay whatcha think?

scottyMIz

I, and Stealth-Z went with the Spool Rods, as well as wiseco pistons (I swear, he's copying me! :P)...

http://www.fairladyzg.com/images/RB30/stockvswisecospool.jpg

I read good reviews and there were enough ppl on SAU who used them and bought them direct from spool, as did I. He even cut me a deal to cope with shipping charges overseas. 860 said and done at my door, with 40 bucks or so for customs.

Racinjitter took a look at them when he was over. He saw all the goodies I have for the RB30 that are anxiously awaiting a head to partner up with :-(

Also, I'm not sure if you guys question his validity, but the user SydneyKid (real name withheld), had informed me that Spool rods are fine, and they're good enough for what most people will do with the rods.

The steel used is very dense, and is not hard on the outside and soft in the middle like an oreo, and for the price, you would not be able to find a set of remanufactured and prepped rods that can even stand close to the same level of horsepower.

main thing is check to make sure every rod has the same dimensions when you get them, check to make sure that all rods are in good condition, and make sure the side and bearing clearances are spot on (even though RB clearances will have Chevy and Ford engine builders investigating the validity of the publishers that Nissan uses for their FSMs, and whether or not they're just monkeys with calculators) <--- [also reinforced by the page numbering that nissan likes to use on their FSM].

And just for the record, Stealth-Z had everything first :D

thanks for the info raff, i should word that different. I want good stuff that is not too costly ;) I definately dont want cheap stuff :D I didn't buy any since i have no money right now but since i got called back to work things will be sittin on my door step sooner than later :D I did talk with my buddy and ended up gettin the greddy t88 turbo,(needs a rebuild) custom header, and an external wastegate for 500 bucks. I told him i dont have the cash now but if he is willing to hang on to them for me i am gonna get them asap. So i am on my way and will be looking for more rb30 parts very soon. Raff i am sure i will be pestering you and rob a lot when it comes to build up time. Also i forgot to ask does that block i got from you need anything done to it? does it need to be bored out? nothin major now but when i order pistons i will need to know.

Scotty,

Your rb30 looks ready to build. The cylinders are clean as ever. I didnt look for crosshatching, but I am willing to bet that you will not need oversized pistons. (unless you want to:twisted:) As of right now I dont have a caliper or micrometer for meacuring them.... But in a couple weeks I will have them.

thanks for the info raff, i should word that different. I want good stuff that is not too costly ;) I definately dont want cheap stuff :D I didn't buy any since i have no money right now but since i got called back to work things will be sittin on my door step sooner than later :D I did talk with my buddy and ended up gettin the greddy t88 turbo,(needs a rebuild) custom header, and an external wastegate for 500 bucks. I told him i dont have the cash now but if he is willing to hang on to them for me i am gonna get them asap. So i am on my way and will be looking for more rb30 parts very soon. Raff i am sure i will be pestering you and rob a lot when it comes to build up time. Also i forgot to ask does that block i got from you need anything done to it? does it need to be bored out? nothin major now but when i order pistons i will need to know.

I checked the rod side clearances and I was about to check the run-out until someone dropped my gauge. It was almost saved because it had a magnetic base that ended up hitting the floor and sticking to a flat piece of iron that i had laying there, but then the loose arm that holds the gauge spun to the bottom and smashed the glass to bits. LOL

meh. I'll have to get another.

Racinjitter knows as much about the block as I do, or will when he takes some slight measurements, but when I got the block, it spun so freely and didn't even hesitate, no hick-ups in the rotation of the crank, and I know it's a casting issue that you will see there.

In fact, if you were to get someone to weld the casting issue, THE FIRST thing i would do is use a grinding stone and grind down the small casting seam that i found, you'll see it there, and i pointed it out to Racinjitter. I found it while grinding the main skirts of all their flashing. you can probably grind out the casting seam that was found and as long as theres complete metal underneath it, and it doesnt look like it cracks through, then you will strengthen that area by rounding it off. Mainly because you may have taken metal away, but you are now denying that little area a starting point.... because you would be removing it :D

As far as the rest of the block, I would get it hot tanked again, just to be safe, and I would also clean out the main threads. And when you get it hot tanked this time, make sure it's not a shop that leaves the core plugs on, and doesnt coat the block with some sort of rust preventative after it comes out of the tank. It will cost about 75 bucks. Then get a set of generic stainless or brass metric replacement plugs and make sure everything else is in line, and fit an oil restrictor... and woila :cool:

In regards to the questions you plan on asking, there are other people who will also know a vast amount more than I do who post here, and they'll make you aware of who they are when you have a question. I haven't gotten too far into my build passed the buying parts thing. But I can assure you that I researched all of the parts I have, and went with new things on others (Romac Balancer, Gates Belt) mainly because someone's gotta try it :-)

My main reason for not having MINE built yet is because I'm 23, live on my own, and have to take it slowly with my spending, so I'm holding off on the machining until I have absolutely every part, RB26 head included.

As for the rods posted in the beginning of the thread, and Soiley's recent post (I make nicknames for everyone, hope you don't mind, J :D)... I think Eagle and Supra rods are made from a company called CATS Racing Products.

I reinforce that fact by turning you guys to this thread here on a Supra forum:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/74699-my-new-h-beam-junk-eagle-rods-2.html

Read through it to see what I mean. It could be that the rods sold here are some that are not within Eagle's or Tomei's spec, but they are still ok to be used, and thus packaged... but with todays ease of manufacturing and labelling (as well as sneaky wording), I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same.

Funny thing is, though... that a well known machinist here in Toronto area told a friend of mine who visited last month in regards to his SBC 400ci he's building had shown my friend that SCAT parts are made of denser and harder metal than Eagles, and that machining SCAT cranks are a bitch because they're much harder than Eagle's soft "buttery" metal.

oh yeah, the same company who supplies rods for Eagle supplies for SCAT too. LOL

so many options for RB26... not many for RB30 without paying 2000 or so.

IF you look on ebay, you will see Manley X beam rod sets with CP Pistons for like 2100... you get a lot of quality in that purchase, and a lot of happy people behind the trusted names, but how much do you want to spend? They are usually for RB26 anyway too. so RB30 would be custom, and more.

I vote for the Spools over there. Reason being that they don't have a name associated with them, or I haven't read anything about them. I haven't read anything BAD about spool, only good things.

So... :-/

T88? awwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeeaaaauhhhhh :cool:

My friend's uncle has an FD3S Rx7 with a T88. And since he's an aviation Engineer, the license plate says LIFT OFF

And it sure does when it catches it's breathe... hehehe

And just for the record, Stealth-Z had everything first :D

Actually it was AKWIKZ who had the Spool Rods first. We ordered the Wiseco's at the same time. Long drawn out story on those.

Spool Rods have worked well in Australia. I am not sure who makes the rods for Spool or what quality control procedures are in effect.

Quality control is the key to dealing with factories in China. Any one can buy custom 4340 rods. Minimun order is 40 pieces. It is up to you to determine your quality control procedures.

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11469163/Forged_4340_H_beam_Connecting_Rods_H_profile_Con_Rod_.html

Forged_4340_H_beam_I_beam_Connecting_Rod.jpg

thanks for the info guys, i didn't know until now that stealth was building an rb30 :) so sofar that is three of us in the states? or is there more? Im sure he wont still have them when i get the cash for em but if he does i'll get a set and let everyone know, mean while i am gonna research more and see what i can find. Stealth what do you think of the weisco pistons? i was looking into some and a few friends said they didnt like them in other engines.(motorcycles and quads) Also am i gonna get bearings for the new block what bearings am i looking for? Will the stockers work fine for high hp or will i need to get an aftermarket racing bearing? Are there alot of parts that are swapable from the rb25-26 to the rb30? Im prolly asking newbie questions but up until a year ago i didn't even know there was such a beast as the rb30.

No worries scotty. All questions can be answered or found out the hard way, and sometimes that's just how we're gonna have to do it.

For bearings you can either go with KING or ACL.

most people use ACL.

I actually got ACL with Calico Coating CT-1 oil absorbing coating. Apparently if the engine starts to lose oil pressure, the bearings will retain a thin film that will stop the engine from seizing or spinning bearings completely. It costs twice the price though.

You can find the ACL bearings on ebay for about 40% of the price I paid... But I got a Calico hat too, so :P

JE seems to be the company I've heard of that has the most piston failures (only hearsay).

As for the parts swappable, just let me know what you need to refresh on the block when you get there, and I can compare it with the box'o'parts I got... It has everything in it, brand new. With all the part numbers.

AND, there are plenty of RB30's here, just not so many in Z's :D

Until I get mine up and running I cannot comment on the Wiseco pistons. Plus there are so many different varialbles in every engine build. As they sit now, I will be shaving off part of the dome to lower the CR.

Here is the thread to the first set of pistons received from Wiseco.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=119593&highlight=wiseco

After a few months of AKWIKZ and myself calling Wiseco about the specs of the above pistons, they replaced them with these. The dome on these is 16cc's. With all my measurements it would give me a CR of around 9.6:1. My goal is about 8.5 to 8.7. One must face the reality of California fuel.

newwiseco1.jpg

thanks raff and stealth, if i get my check today or tomorrow i'll be making the trip this weekend. If it doesn't come til monday then it'll be next weekend if its ok with jitter. I have not heard of cars with weisco pistons having problems but i haven't been looking either. I know it depends on the build, tune and all that too. I did get my cam sensor taken apart and i am going to swap the wheel from a z31 into the z32 cas i am using on the rb25 now.I had problems with my tuning that is part of the reason one of the pistons crapped out along with my heavy foot. The haltech must have been confused, I had to adjust my timing advanced to make it retard. Then i had problems with the timing drifting off i had to mess with the trigger angle to make it run right after a while. I know the wheel worked in my l28 so it should work just fone with the z32 cas. I have a feeling i am going to have to upgrade my fuel lines and fuel pump or add another fuel pump and line like rob did. Im gettin all excited again..... i am gona get to work now that will bring me back down :)