HybridZ

Bent over twice engine rebuild

gretchen/jason

Man talk about bad luck, the first engine rebuild i ever did was the stock 280z motor did a 3.1 stroker i paid about 2 grand for it and oh about 2 thousand miles latter the came towers fell off while driving down the highway . The engine builder told me it was my fault but he installed the parts and the engine .

So i left it at that as " race engines etc etc have no warranty .

So now on to my SBC 383 i had a different machine shop build it for me from top to bottom . I asked them to give it back to me in pieces so as i could build it myself .

So i took it to another machine shop to have it checked over . Two of the conecting rods were 30 grams out of balance and one was bent . The crank was suposed to be balanced and it never was . And the pistons were no good and i wasnt trold that either .

So i asked the people whom i had do the work the first time and they said i must have droped the stuff on the ground because they do good work . Thats why the crank was out of balance .They had no coment on the rods so the 900$ i paid for machine work etc will now cost me another 900$ or more but this machine shop does work on the engines where i work at HYUNDAI i guess i should have used them the first time stupid me .

Jason

Dude that stinks, hate to be a buzz kill but I ordered my stroker set up from dyno-flo performance out of Vegas, all new stuff expensive but it's all balanced Eagle parts and Mahle pistons.

Although the initial parts price is a bit high (what's not nowadays) I only had to buy once and done.

Next time I'm going crate motor, you may want to look in to that too.

Well it was a crate motor untill the oil pickup tube fell off one day destroyed the engine with only 7 thou miles on it so i figured id build a 383 out of it since i had a 400 sbc crank laying around and 400 sbc rods .

And seeing as it is going to have a supercharger on it i thought what the heck but i got it stuck to me good . Live and learn i guess .

Jason

So now for an update the 383 is getting close to being done about another week or so . All said and done im looking at 1,500$ parts and labor . Forged dished pistons " for the supercharger"575$ forged rods 200$ . The rest is labor and minor machine work to assemble the longblock .

I was going the route of the short rod 383 but the shop convinced me to go the 5.7 rod route instead of the 5.5 not only cheaper but now i can turn more rpms and it will be completly balanced and ready to go .

Ive been without my z for 8 months now but it gave me time to install the Subtle z rear fenders paint the engine bay and run A/N fittings and stell braided lines for everything all the way down to the heater hose . Plus i got me some new rims 15x10 running 295/50 15 tires nice and wide . Cant wait to line up with some of these hondas i see buzzing by everyday plus a guy at work has a 2005 Hyundai tiburon " i work at hyundai as a mechanic " he claims his turbo GT v6 will be way faster then my supercharged 383 haa haa i say .

Jason

So now for an update the 383 is getting close to being done about another week or so . All said and done im looking at 1,500$ parts and labor . Forged dished pistons " for the supercharger"575$ forged rods 200$ . The rest is labor and minor machine work to assemble the longblock .

I was going the route of the short rod 383 but the shop convinced me to go the 5.7 rod route instead of the 5.5 not only cheaper but now i can turn more rpms and it will be completly balanced and ready to go .

Ive been without my z for 8 months now but it gave me time to install the Subtle z rear fenders paint the engine bay and run A/N fittings and stell braided lines for everything all the way down to the heater hose . Plus i got me some new rims 15x10 running 295/50 15 tires nice and wide . Cant wait to line up with some of these hondas i see buzzing by everyday plus a guy at work has a 2005 Hyundai tiburon " i work at hyundai as a mechanic " he claims his turbo GT v6 will be way faster then my supercharged 383 haa haa i say .

Jason

How much is his 2.7 V6 putting down to the ground? I've heard that they can take a good bit of boost on stock internals.

For slow and rusty the engine place that built my 3.1 stroker was called competition engines here in colorado springs .

As for pete the 2.7 puts out if i remember 220 crank horses suposedly turbo makes it around 280 - 300 . Hyundai is suposed to come out with a 350 plus horsepower rear wheel drive car called the genisis .

Jason