HybridZ

I've searched. v.exhaustandemmisions

I've looked through the sticky in this forum and did a search, but haven't found the information I'm looking for.

What I have been trying to find and only read vague information about is the changes in the exhaust systems over the years. More specifically when cat converters were added to 1st gen Z-car line (S30)? Looking at the sticky it mentioned a larger tranny tunnel for the '76 model year, and have read the change in tranny tunnel was in relation to the addition of cats, but no year was associated with that info.

I'm also curious about other emmision equipment that was used, such as EGR, EVAP canisters, or any other related equipment.

The reason I ask is because once I get an S30, and do the requisite engine swap (HybridZ ;):D), I need to keep all the existing or relacement emmisions equipment in place to be road worthy here in Ontario. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of going with the later model years, for the stiffer chassis over lack of emmisions, cat is what I'm mostly worried about, since that will effect, somewhat how the turbo will spool, even with a high flow cat. The rest of the emmisions devices have little effect on overall performance anyway, since they are either passive or shut off at WOT anyway.

Thanks

:D

If I''m reading the below link right your S-30 would be cosidered a "Hot Rod" and only have to meet the 1980 gas cap test and not a full emission test. I think you need to do some more checking on it but to me you should have no problem passing that test with your swapped motor as is....

http://www.gtcars.ca/online/honda-acura/45952-motor-swap-e-tests.html

LARRY

ALL Emissions equipment HAS to be inplace on the car, and supposedly functioning, though it is just a visual inspection for those items. The cats they get a bit touchy over and will check to make sure they are not gutted. This is Ontario Canada, the Nazi province for emmisions.

I really have no problem with the emmisions equipment, I just want to figure out what I'm going to need when it's complete. And weigh the pros and cons of each year.

The tail pipe emmisions only need to meet the 1980 standards, but everything else has to be there, if the car was so equiped at the time of manufacture.

A friend of mine has a 1979 Mustang Pace car, and was pulled over by the E-police, as he pulled into the Horton's parking lot (Coffee shop for those that don't live in the Great White North), and was initially charged with tampering with emmisions equipment, since his car did not have cats on it at the time, well as it turns out after some research, it never did. The Pace cars were not equipped with cats or at least the V8 Pace cars were not, I don't recall what was found out about the 4 cyl Pace cars.

So it goes much deeper than the gas cap test. I've already been through this a bit with my other "Hot Rod", my 1985 GMC Jimmy, that at the time had a 3.2L Turbo (check in Members Projects for more details).

Installing all the emmisions equipment just saves headaches and the cops that think they're mechanics and issue fix-it tickets.

Hmmm... Well only because I'm bored right now, I've read a little more on your Drive Clean law...

http://www.driveclean.com/help/faq21.html

http://www.driveclean.com/help/faq56.html

http://www.driveclean.com/help/faq3.html

Seems to me that all S-30's are exempt from testing in that they fall in the 70-78 model year.... Or maybe I'm reading those links wrong and should take a nap....:D

LARRY

Hmmm... Well only because I'm bored right now, I've read a little more on your Drive Clean law...

http://www.driveclean.com/help/faq21.html

http://www.driveclean.com/help/faq56.html

http://www.driveclean.com/help/faq3.html

Seems to me that all S-30's are exempt from testing in that they fall in the 70-78 model year.... Or maybe I'm reading those links wrong and should take a nap....:D

LARRY

They are exempt from testing, in fact any car built before 1988 is, that's not my point.

It's just easier to have all the equipment in place (even if it's not functional) to save the hassel of the fix-it tickets. I also will choose to have all the original equipment installed (well the parts that will work on the new engine ;)), since they really don't effect performance IMO, when they are functioning properly. The only one I'm worried about is the cat, since it is a restriction in the exhaust. I'd just like to know what the yearly changes were to the exhaust and emmisions equipment on the S30s so I'm better prepared in my search for the right S30 for me. ;)

• Administrators

As far as I’m aware, California cars received cats prior to the “49 state” cars. In short, not all Z cars of the same year had a cat factory installed, some had a factory installed dog, depending on the year and what state received that car of course.

As for the Canuck cars, cats are feral.

Hope that helps. azzolina.gif

As far as I’m aware, California cars received cats prior to the “49 state†cars. In short, not all Z cars of the same year had a cat factory installed, some had a factory installed dog, depending on the year and what state received that car of course.

As for the Canuck cars, cats are feral.

Hope that helps. azzolina.gif

Sheds a bit more light on the subject, and to be honest, I forgot about the Cali emmisions. Just adds another variable to the mix.

well, I thought it was a fairly cut and dry subject.

I was under the impression that no 49 state car had a cat until 76. I know my 75 280 has no cat, no EGR, no emissions equipment whatsoever.

To the best of my knowledge, the only "chassis" differences between my 75, and a 78 280, would be in the door and door frame, and are minimal. The door restructuring was more an impact-related thing than a performance related thing, and in the grand scheme of things the difference made wasn't very extreme.

It sounds to me like you want a 75. I know I do; it seems to me, to be the best compromise between "old" and "new" S30s.

well, I thought it was a fairly cut and dry subject.

I was under the impression that no 49 state car had a cat until 76. I know my 75 280 has no cat, no EGR, no emissions equipment whatsoever.

I haven't been able to find info that was that "cut and dry". ;) But from what I had read, it seemed to that it was you state cats were added in '76. I am trying to verify this, and if everyone concurs with this, the it seems I/we have the answer now.

To the best of my knowledge, the only "chassis" differences between my 75, and a 78 280, would be in the door and door frame, and are minimal. The door restructuring was more an impact-related thing than a performance related thing, and in the grand scheme of things the difference made wasn't very extreme.

I have seen mention of the tranny tunnel differences on more than one occasion. It is also listed in the sticky.

It sounds to me like you want a 75. I know I do; it seems to me, to be the best compromise between "old" and "new" S30s.

I was thinking the very same thing, but I only ever see mention of chassis upgrades/stiffening starting in '76, or was there for sure chassis changes made with the introduction of the 260, which was '75?

Oh, there were most ASSUREDLY chassis upgrades between 240 and 1975 280..

I am a sponge. I havent actually WORKED on *my* Z in over three years. I read and regurgitate; usually with this disclaimer if I have any doubts. I cannot detail changes, but I know that the vast majority of the "significant*" differences between a 1972 240 and a 1978 280, will be shared by a 1975 280, and the differences between the 75 and the 78 will be far fewer than between the 72 and the 75.

*significant, as in, what I think you seem to be concerned about.. not little things like heavier bumpers and different turn signals, etc.

Now, if someone wants to shove my foot in my mouth, I am all for it.. This sponge can handle correction :D but 25 years of riding, 17 years of in depth tinkering, tweaking, wrenching, and 5 years of constant background reading and research (along with 5 years of DDing) have taught me alot, and I try not to go this far out if I think theres a decent chance of eating my own words.

Daeron;

We seem to be on the same wavelength. I'm more concerned about those significant differences in changes that are not so easily seen, especially from the outside. The marker lights, like you mention for example are of no consquence to me as I will be shaving them, along with a few other items. ;)

I think I may have found an earlier 240 anyway ('73). I am e-mailing back and forth with the owner currently.