HybridZ

ball joints

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Whats the best way to seperate ball joints from front suspension? I usually use a hammer and just beat them, now I wonder after seeing the ball joint fork type seperator and other types of tools that maybe there is a better way. I have never caused damage as yet but want to avoid a problem like ruining the threads etc. I have also seen mechanics use a aluminum bar on the top and beat with hammer. I have never had a problem as after several taps they have seperated.

Guest Anonymous

Now, I never told you this but.. I re-place the castle nut upside down onto the threads and place on a solid surface and tap with a hammer. I do not tap much harder than I would like to hit someone and be charged with manslaughter. Always worked and faster than finding the pickle fork. Now the "best way" is to pay someone whose work is under warranty.That way you have a professional "hitman"

I just changed mine and started the old knock em out with a hammer routine...I think they had been in there since 1974...borrowed a pickle fork and they still took a series of hard hits to get loose. No way I could've gotten them off with hammer, never mind reuse them afterwards. Do the right thing and buy a fork...so I can borrow it next time. john

After working at a 4x4 shop for years I have found that hitting the front of the steering knuckle with a dead blow hammer works the best. This way does no damage to the tie rod assembly if you need to reuse them. Also spray some penitrating oil on the rod ends and let it sit overnite if possible.

Guest De Schmaydee

.....i dont use a pickle fork unless i'm gonna replace 'em....i'll usually tear up the boots....you can buy(or borrow for free)a tie rod end puller and/or a pitman arm (i think) puller from autozone....they dont cost much if you want to buy them...or just leave a deposit (check) and they'll give the money back when you return the tool...........makes things a lot easier.....s

This works everytime for me. And it's quick and easy.

Ball joint separtor, looks like a letter C with a bolt going through the middle. $15-$20 any auto parts store. Tighten it onto the joint. If it doesn't pop off with moderate pressure on the bolt rap the steering knuckle (just like Zya says) at 90* to the balljoint shaft with a hammer. Don't hit the tool or the ball joint, you'll just damage them.

I learned this years ago from and old steam fitter. The first time I tried this I had at first completely mushroomed the end of the ball joint whacking it with a sledge. I beat it with all my might but it wouldn't budge. Then after my buddy (with a big smile on his face) gave me the advice, one light rap on the knuckle and off it came.

Ever since that day it has never taken me more than two minute to to get one off.