HybridZ

CheapBay Alt died after 10 miles, need a dependable replacment

BillZ260

Bought a Black 85 AMP One wire alt from Factory Direct Discount Race Parts way back in '06. But only recently have I been able to run my car. Saturday after I just got my exhaust finished, I hear this screaming on the way home and it's the 'new' alt. I figure it's a set of cheap bearings or something that caused it to die so quickly.

I'd like to get a bit higher amp alt but don't want to pay a ton of $$ for it. Any of you guy's have a good cheap source for a one wire alt?

Searching netted Powermaster, and and a couple others, but most of them are CHROME and around the same price point. I'd really like a simple 'natural' finish.

Thanks.

Try rebuilding it.

Jegs has a kit to convert a Delco to a 100 amp output, and it includes new bearings

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_750754_-1_10685

They also have 1 wire alts from $85

I dig! I'm going to stop by O'reilly's on the way home and see if they have one as well. Looks like they have the individual parts, I'm sure they have a kit.

I pulled it appart and could smell that the rotor had burnt up, looking into it a bit more and you could see that some of the insulator on the wrappings were toasted. Then pulling the rotor out the rear bearing had NO grease in it. The shaft and all the rollers were really jacked. What's funny is that everything looked really nice. I'm guessing that it was just a lemon. I've had it for about 2 years, far too long to claim the 90 day warranty so I didn't bother.

I decided to cut my losses, cored it for an AC Delco unit from the parts store with a lifetime warrenty. It's not a 1 wire hook up but that's not a big deal, just need to pull the tucked wires out of where ever they are an hook up the exciter or whatever its called., and make a little jumper.

I took advantage of having the alt out and made a rear support braket which was needed horribly. The alt was shaking a bit at idle and would smooth out at rmp (that may have helped it fail so quickly) but now with the new rear support, it's perfectly sturdy at idle.

Lemonade right? ;)