HybridZ

z32 and rb cas disassembly

scottyMIz

the z32 wheel and the rb wheel are the same size and are smaller than the z31 wheel so you could proilly easily swap the aem wheel into the z32 or rb cas. Now the next thing would be making the rb or z32 cas mount to the top of the z31 dizzy. I think that would be easier than making all the slots match on the new wheel.

the z32 wheel and the rb wheel are the same size and are smaller than the z31 wheel so you could proilly easily swap the aem wheel into the z32 or rb cas. Now the next thing would be making the rb or z32 cas mount to the top of the z31 dizzy. I think that would be easier than making all the slots match on the new wheel.

Well, the AEM wheel is specifically designed for the z32 and the RB CAS, so I KNOW it will fit in those. But yes, I agree, if I could get the z32 cas to fit into the z31 dizzy, that would be a pretty easy solution.

sorry didn't know it was made for it, i didn't read everything(im impatient) making the optical eye adjustable is very easy too there are bushings that prevent the plastic from being crushed i just pressed them out and i had more movement when i put the over sized wheel in. Could try that and see what happends.

you know looking at it closer satan it looks like it would work with no mods did u just try it? The windows on the z32 wheel look like they pretty much take the same path as the triggler windows for the z31. prolly just have to make the holes a lil bigger for mounting but that is pretty simple a dremel or two flat pieces of steel with the wheel sandwiched between would keep them straight. I did it the old fashon way and used small hand files.

you know looking at it closer satan it looks like it would work with no mods did u just try it? The windows on the z32 wheel look like they pretty much take the same path as the triggler windows for the z31. prolly just have to make the holes a lil bigger for mounting but that is pretty simple a dremel or two flat pieces of steel with the wheel sandwiched between would keep them straight. I did it the old fashon way and used small hand files.

I dunno man... look at this pic again. The z32 wheel (on top) has the very top of each of its slots lining up with almost the very bottom of the z31's wheel. I couldn't give you an exact measurement unless I pulled stuff apart and lined it up again, but basically, what every the z32 slot 'height' is, is how far apart they are from each other.

IMG_2729.jpg

So, you are saying where the two screws that hold the optical sensor over the wheel have bushing in them (under the screws). If I pull those out (which I haven't looked at yet) then the optical eye will have more "play" and be able to move in and out some? I may have to give this a try and see if it is enough. However, I have to figure out a way to tell if it is lined up properly. I don't think eyeballing it is the correct way to go about it.

I dunno man... look at this pic again. The z32 wheel (on top) has the very top of each of its slots lining up with almost the very bottom of the z31's wheel. I couldn't give you an exact measurement unless I pulled stuff apart and lined it up again, but basically, what every the z32 slot 'height' is, is how far apart they are from each other.

IMG_2729.jpg

So, you are saying where the two screws that hold the optical sensor over the wheel have bushing in them (under the screws). If I pull those out (which I haven't looked at yet) then the optical eye will have more "play" and be able to move in and out some? I may have to give this a try and see if it is enough. However, I have to figure out a way to tell if it is lined up properly. I don't think eyeballing it is the correct way to go about it.

ok what i did was take the three screws that hold the whole cas base into the housing out and i tried drilling them first but after the drill bit got a good bite all it did was spin so i pulled it out with the bushing still stuck to the bit making the bushing come out. I did it to all three holes so i could slide the whole unit back and forth. The thing about these is either its gonna work or not there isnt' going to be an inbetween. I took apart the z32 eye.... well as much as i could the two screws holding the eye in place do come out but there are hard wire leads holding the eye inplace but i could get it enough apart to see there are two sets of openings. i will try and get a pic so everyone can see later on tonite. My guess is that the eye is all one piece but with a metal cover with two sets of slots cut into it so it can focus the beam more. Since there is only one signal wire coming from the cas that the ecu uses im guessing it combines the two trigger window into something the computer can recognize.Also on this z32 cas i have one of the bushings knocked out from my early attempts to modify it so u can see how i did it. Did you happen to spin the z31 wheel around on the aem z32 wheel? if so did the home window line up with any of the trigger windows? From laying them on top of each other it looks like it only has to move a little bit and that much is definalty possible if your cas base plate can be modded like a rb or z32. Hope this helps

Well it doesn't look too good. This is a L28 Distributor and a RB30 distributor. The wheels are compatible because I have changed them (The cylinder 1 marks match up, I.E. L28 distributor pictured has RB30 wheel and vice versa).

L28 Distributor, measurement is roughly the inside of the distributor where the CAS sits

IMG_1382.jpg

Screw hole measurements

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

RB30 Distributor

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

I'm finding that the single overhead cam RB30E had a lot of parts shared from the VG30E's, and it looks as though the RB30E dizzy has a disc much like the L28 one, with 6 slits and a 1-TDC reference slot.

If you could source the RB30 disc, it may work?

Hey Garvice, Does that mean that both the L28 and the RB30 disks have a diameter of about 1.964"

The z32 wheel I have measures 1.964"

The Z31 wheel measures 2.121"

The Z31 CAS seems to have the same measurements as to how it bolts into the dizzy as the L28. SOOOO... if the L28 wheel and the RB30/RB25 or RB26 wheel along with the z32 wheel are all the same diameter of 1.964" Then I could run the L28 CAS with the AEM 24 slot z32 wheel in it all plugged into my z31 distributor.

I don't know if the RB30 has the same size wheel as the RB25 and RB26's though.

RB30 wheel is the exact same size as the L28 wheel (Put them over top of each other and they are the same, same cyl 1 position too).

Not sure if the z32 and rb25/26 wheels are the same, but it would surprise me if they are different. Although I was surprised when you said the Z31 has a different size wheel. The rough measurement of 1.989 in the photos is actually quite close to the true measurement. It looks really dodgy as the verniers are a bit away from the disc (Hard to hold the verniers, digital camera and distributor all at the same time). So if you have a measurement of 1.964 then I would say that is the measurement of the RB30 and L28 discs.

RB30 wheel is the exact same size as the L28 wheel (Put them over top of each other and they are the same, same cyl 1 position too).

Not sure if the z32 and rb25/26 wheels are the same, but it would surprise me if they are different. Although I was surprised when you said the Z31 has a different size wheel. The rough measurement of 1.989 in the photos is actually quite close to the true measurement. It looks really dodgy as the verniers are a bit away from the disc (Hard to hold the verniers, digital camera and distributor all at the same time). So if you have a measurement of 1.964 then I would say that is the measurement of the RB30 and L28 discs.

Well, that is with my plastic calipers, but I trust them to be within .005" or so.

Z32 wheel from AEM.

IMG_2738.jpg

OEM z31 wheel.

IMG_2739.jpg

When I get a chance, I'll measure the L28/RB30 discs properly.

Thats not a problem, I just need someone with the rb25/26 to measure theres and tell me if it is the same size as the RB30 or L28. I mean, it should be if I have the AEM wheel designed for the z32/RB25/26, but just want to make sure.

Thats not a problem, I just need someone with the rb25/26 to measure theres and tell me if it is the same size as the RB30 or L28. I mean, it should be if I have the AEM wheel designed for the z32/RB25/26, but just want to make sure.

Don't worry, I will measure my rb25 CAS wheel this weekend. My calipers are in my truck awaiting arrival of the discombobulated CAS.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Just to update this thread a little...

Got a z32 CAS, (Mitsubishi kind). Had to drill out the studs holding it together. Pulled the guts out of it and put them in a z31 distributor. Two of the mounting screws came close enough to where I could run them in, but the third had to be drilled and tapped, no biggie. Oh, I also had to take the z31 dizzy to the band saw and do some creative cutting for the z32 cas to fit right. No biggie there either.

For the disk to sit at the right height, some creative shimming with washers had to be done. Here is what I came up with.

Now, I have it in the car, but the AEM is not picking up engine speed for some reason. Still got to do some tinkering, but I'm sure it will come along. Thought maybe I damaged it in the process of swapping, but an OEM cas KNOWN to work, does the same thing so... gotta be something else.

Now, if I could just figure out how to place what slot on TDC...

Thought I had a better pic of it, but this is all I can find right now...

AEMEMSinstall002.jpg