HybridZ

Finally Completed 280ZXT Coilovers - Pics Inside

I recently finished a two month long project -coilovers for my '83 ZXT. I hunted high and low for help and assistance via websites but came up with nothing so I did the good ole trial and error which is why this build up took 8weeks. The car now handles gracefully and with ultimate confidence.

As an FYI the coilover kit was supplied by Mike from Foonebooth and I have:

1) 200# springs in the Front

2) 225# springs in the Rear

3) Suspension Tehcniques sway bars front and rear

4) Tokico Illuminas in the front and Pro-DraG in the rear

5) Poly urethane bushings from Suspension Techniques throughout the front

6) All new inner and out tie rods, ball joints

7) Polished aluminum strut spacers

Well here are the pics enjoy.

Stock height (yuk):

13822338.jpg

Front Coilovers:

13822725.jpg

Another Shot of the fronts:

13822309.jpg

The rear:

13823045.jpg

The finished product:

13822319.jpg

Regards - Yasin

Yasin,

What is the drive quality like? Since I got my 83 ZXT, I really enjoy the softer more comfy ride compared to the 240Z, but the rear squat under acceleration is excessive, and the previous owner had new springs and shocks installed!

Also, what was the final cost of the coilover setup?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim - To be honest the ride is a little worse than I thought it would be. The front is fine and I guess because most of the weight is up there, it rides really well in front. The rear is harsh over bumps and undulations in the road and I think its due to the fact that the springs are a little too stiff, so I might change them to 200# springs and see how that improves things.

Its a real payoff - my ZXT had a very cush and plush ride but I was getting a little fed-up with how much body roll and how worn out the suspension actually was (car had the original 20year old struts still in!) and I am fairly sprited driver, so I enjoy having a car that communicates between me and the road.

The coilover kit itself was $400, but the entire suspension rebuild itself including all the Tokico struts, Suspension Techniques polyurathane bushings, strut spacers, Suspension Techniques sway bars and new ball jointstie rods was easily around $1200.

Greimann - the MMC coilovers is the same as the Fooneboth kit, and you get 4 springs, the threaded sleeves, the adjusting nut and some other little hardware. You still have to cut and adapt it to the ZX - this is where all the work and trial and error comes into play. Can be frustrating but the end results pays off. By the way you have a VERY beautiful car!

Best regards - Yasin

Ferd John Haag - Thanks for the compliments - really appreciated. The hard work has paid off and I feel I can technically assist anyone who would like to convert their ZXZXT cars to coilovers - thats why we are all here to best help each other out.

John - I am actually located in Colorado Springs, and we can definately meet up some time - either I come up, you come down or we meet in the middle somewhere - sounds great either way.

Regards - Yasin

Yasin: I'm very impressed with the work you have put into your car! Well, to be honest, I'm also a bit envious! smile.gif

I'd love to see it in person some time. I live in Englewood near Porter hospital and I think you mentioned once that you live in Golden. Any chance I could visit and get a tour of your car?

John

Greimann - the MMC coilovers is the same as the Fooneboth kit..you still have to cut and adapt it to the ZX - this is where all the work and trial and error comes into play

Yasin, your setup looks great. I just wanted to clarify my setup is not the same as Fonebooth's. I don't recall discussing my setup with you. No adapting required at all with mine for Illumina's/front/rear, your rears would have been somewhat unique. My website pic has been misleading as I haven't used the tall hat tops for sometime. Mine are 1/4" in thickness and therefore provide greater allowable suspension travel for same ride height. I've also been including custom lower tube perches for some time now that make for an easy and tidy install providing maximum room for wheels/tires, and I use the split ring lower adjustable perches Tomahawk praises so much ;) Not quite the same is it? Just wanted to clarify as we each have our own unique differences.

With regards to your setup, is that a bumpstop installed above your top conical spring hat? Maybe my eyes are off but appears to be a spacers of some sort above that hat, if it is your bumpstop it should be below the aluminum hat to retain the positive connection between your aluminum hat and upper strut mount. If I'm misreading your pic then great and my apologies.

Here's a pic of mine FWIW and you'll see a few differences. The lower aluminum piece is the mystery piece a few may know it's function ;) Sleeve pictured is an old stock UV faded piece.....mine are typically BRIGHT blue.

280zxcoilover.JPG

If you swap to lighter rear springs, I'd reccomend a shorter 10" spring, if you were staying at 200's/225's I'd suggest 8" springs. I run 7's and 8's depending on the springrate/season I'm in ;) Makes for easily accessible adjustment's as well (above the tire) with a lighter setup.

How do you like your rear struts? Are they adjustable? I'm interested in new adjustable rear options with the rear Illumina's now gone.

Ross - Thanks for the picture and also I apologize for being presumptuous to your kit. We did talk briefly last year when I started the conversion and then I looked on your website as well. Looks like you have a great set-up for the rear.

I have placed a rubber bushing between the top of the conical aluminum hat and the upper strut mount - as I was not keen on having metal in contact with metal, so that why I sandwiched the rubber bushing in there. What are the disadvantages to me doing this?

The rear of my car is quite harsh - so you thing a change to a 200# spring would be the solution? That way I would have 200# in the front and rear, id I do change to 200# in the back.

Is there a number I can contact you?

Thanks for the feedback and comments - much appreciated.

My rear stursts are the Tokico Pro DraG - which are pretty rare and now a discontinued product from Tokico USA. A friend of mine who lived in Japan for a few years were kind enough to send me a pair. They are great struts and Tokico consider them a race type strut. They are non-adjustable.

Here is a pic of them (after I cut and removed the spring perch) - sad to cut a new pair of struts!

13823071.jpg

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards - Yasin