HybridZ

torsen anyone?!

1 tuff z

I don't need convincing or to do any testing to know I want one of these for my 350Z. I spend a lot of time talking with Rob and Bob Hines who tested a Torvec on their T2 350Z. They loved it and didn't want to give it back when Andy called.

Right now I'm running an OS Giken CLSD which is very nice. Having 12 little clutch plates on each side does wonders for getting power down mid corner.

I just wanted to know if there was anything significantly different about the Torvec that would distinguish itself from existing ATB differentials. In my opinion the Quaife ATB is the best performing, and most reliable differential there is. It's even got a lifetime warranty for all applications, including racing. If this Torvec can match the performance and reliability of the Quaife, and be less expensive, then they'll have a killer unit.

I just wanted to know if there was anything significantly different about the Torvec that would distinguish itself from existing ATB differentials.

Not that I can see by the description. Could be more aggressive due to the different pitch on the helicals.

In my opinion the Quaife ATB is the best performing, and most reliable differential there is. It's even got a lifetime warranty for all applications, including racing. If this Torvec can match the performance and reliability of the Quaife, and be less expensive, then they'll have a killer unit.

I have to disagree here, but probably because I'm more of an autoxer than a road racer. Helical LSDs are a great idea, but they do have limitations. Tight turns that unload the inside rear will cause the Quaife to spin the tire. Coffey had to send his out to have it shimmed tighter (something they claim you never have to do). They can also break axles when the tire gets traction again, more so than a CLSD. Price is another consideration. I think the Quaife in particular costs about 4 or 5 times what it should. As an example it is possible to buy an American made Tru-trak helical LSD for a Chevy 8.5" diff, for ~$400 every day of the week, not on sale. Yet the Quaife costs closer to $2K for the R200. WHY???

http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=1660

The tendency of an ATB to behave as an open differential is a downside, but one that can easily be remedied by moving the roll stiffness distribution forward, with stiffer springs in the rear and stiffer ARB in the front for example. It's a compromise, but I think its a better compromise than setting up a car with inherent oversteer to counteract the understeer that a CLSD will induce. But it ultimatly boils down to driver preference and what will let him/her drive faster.

As far as price goes, I've never seen the inside of a Tru-trak, so all I can say is that everything Quaife makes is top-notch. A lifetime warranty under racing conditions is pretty darn rare. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

As far as price goes, I've never seen the inside of a Tru-trak, so all I can say is that everything Quaife makes is top-notch. A lifetime warranty under racing conditions is pretty darn rare. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Tru-traks are pretty bulletproof, but even if you broke it 3 times you'd still come in under the cost of the Quaife!

• 1 month later...