HybridZ

another power steering option!

Well I'm just stoked. I was at a auto recycler this week looking for mirror's for my z, when a came across a 95 mazda miata. the mirror's are a perfect fit because a 260 was a few car away to test fit them to. Anyway the miata had the engine remove when I saw that the rack was complete with pump and hoses. A quick measurment of the mountinf tabs they where 2 inches of to the passinger side. bot when measured between the boots it was a perfect match to that 260.Then the big surprise came when I removed the rack assymbly the passenger side mount was movable it was a perfect match again . all I have to do is cut both sides of the rack by 3 or 4 inches, Anyhow I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them this weekend . Dare I say it finally a almost bolt in rack? will see. 2thumbs.gifrockon.gif

is there a quick steering ratio rack for the 240Z im very interested...how quick is the miata steering? it should be fast because its such a light car...anyone got in info? is it 240Z interchangable?

I look forward to pictures of this. When you say cut 2-4 inches are you refering to the tie-rods? Am I to assume the rack itself requires no mods and will bolt in leaving only getting it to work with the 240/260/280z spindle attachement point? (where the outer tie-rod attaches to the spindle).

-Bob

• 2 weeks later...
:oops: Hi guys, sorry it took so long to respond, but my computer took a dump :evil: Had to go and buy a new one. Anyway the latest on the rack is that the mounting on miata rack has a flat bottom, kinda like a D-shape as apposed to the Z rack being round. The second issue is that the area around the input shaft of the miata rack is hitting the motor mount stand. I,m getting a spare crossmember to experiment with. I got pictures , Look to the second page to see zcar&.view=t[img]So%20to%20make%20a%20long%20story%20short.%20No%20it%20is%20NOT%20a%20bolt%20on%20modification.%20sorry%20to%20get%20your%20hopes%20up%20guys,%20but%20one%20way%20or%20another%20this%20thing%20is%20going%20in%20my%20Z.%20:oops:%20%20:oops:%20%20:oops:%20

Try getting the rack in the right position and then see what has to be done to mount it. It looks as if you could move it a little closer to the center and then rotate it to clear. It looks like that would make it line up with the steering shaft.

I'm really curious to see if this works, it might be a good option.

- Joe

I'm going to follow this one closely...

There's a bloke here in Perth (Aus) who used a WRX rack with his RB26 conversion - I think he posts as RB26DETT on here...

:?:

How close are the thread sizes on the tie-rod ends? Can you exchange the z tie rods for the miata tie rods and not have to modify them? From the photos the length looks about right if you could swap the rods.

:?:

How close are the thread sizes on the tie-rod ends? Can you exchange the z tie rods for the miata tie rods and not have to modify them? From the photos the length looks about right if you could swap the rods.

why not section the tie rods so 1 end bolts to teh actual assembly and the other end uses the stock Z crossmember mount weld the two together with some sort of U bend/joint in them to compensate clearance then go and have a machine shop make one for you out of some billet stock? you'd be able to use stock bolt sizes for each although i'd upgrade to grade 8 hardware....

Ziata tie rods! haha

zline,

"Ziata tie rods! haha"

Please do not think I meant to change out z tie rods for miata tie rods, I meant just the opposite. Use the z tie rods if possible on the miata assembly, and sure it would be nice to have a set made out of billet, but I was looking to see if this could be a cheap, easy alternative.

zline' date='

"Ziata tie rods! haha"

Please do not think I meant to change out z tie rods for miata tie rods, I meant just the opposite. Use the z tie rods if possible on the miata assembly, and sure it would be nice to have a set made out of billet, but I was looking to see if this could be a cheap, easy alternative.

[/quote']

i meant...u section and weld the two then have a billet unit made w/o welds...that way its structurally stronger no where to crack.

you use the miata side to bolt into the assembly but the Z end to make it a "bolton" conversion

gotcha' date=' makes sense now.

Thanks,[/quote']

yup np...

i just figured that'd be simpler than trying to make a "square fit into a circle" do you know if this will work in a 240Z ? I'm sure going to need quick steering in a 385 horse early 240...

TIA

Daniel