HybridZ

NEED HELP with which turbo to use for upgrade

milesz

Now, before any of you get started, I searched and searched and could not find an answer. I have a 83 turbo engine in my 78 Datsun and looking to upgrade the turbo, among other things. Do any of you know about any bolt on upgrade, if there is such an animal. I plan to run Supra 440 injector and maybe the Megasquirt system.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Now, before any of you get started,

Okay, now you've done it! You're just begging for it, lol. :icon45::mrgreen:

I searched and searched and could not find an answer. I have a 83 turbo engine in my 78 Datsun and looking to upgrade the turbo, among other things. Do any of you know about any bolt on upgrade, if there is such an animal. I plan to run Supra 440 injector and maybe the Megasquirt system.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Hey milesz, I know where you're coming from because I'm going down the same road of upgrading.

It's taken me a well over a year of "searching" here to find "the answer" and there isn't one.:icon56: No one can really tell you what the best upgrades are for your particular situation since we all have different goals, starting points, skills, access to equipment, time and $$$.

Like 510Six said, what are your goals? And also keep in mind that once you buy a component, you're kind of stuck with it. If you use 440 CC injectors, there you go...that pretty much limits as much HP as you can reliably make (maybe around 300-400 HP).

I think the absolute best way is to do it in STAGES, so that you can enjoy and appreciate each upgrade, learn as you go while not breaking the bank!

There is a post that was recently tool-shedded that has a lot of good info about where and how to start a turbo build and hopefully finish! (if there is such a thing). Since you've already searched, you should be familiar with that one! :icon44:

The only "bolt-on" I know of is an HKS IC setup from MSA, but it is expensive IMO and IC core may be too small for you HP goals. So I guess the answer is NO for the most part...there are no "eazy to install" bolt-ons (especially cheap ones :redface:). It is unfortunate, but there is almost no forced induction aftermarket support for an L28ET like there is for an SR20 or Supra or Mustang.

Do you have a "bone-stock" Turbo engine? (you never mentioned what you've done so far but I remember your posts about installing one)

What I would recommend is the way I ended up doing the upgrades:

1) Manual boost controller. This way you can run 2-4 psi more boost and all you have to do is plumb in a little valve. Hallman's are good, or you can make the wastegate actuator preload adjustable by threading the rod. You also need to install a boost gage to know where you're at. This might add 20-30 HP...and in a light car, it is a really noticeable difference

2) Intercooler and bypass valve. This is where it can expensive and takes a great deal more planning. After this, you can really crank up the boost still using the stock EFI.

3) Downpipe. Get rid of the stock cast iron DP and use smooth mandrel bends. There is a thread on here to get a DP flange for the stock turbo. Any exhaust shop can do welding... makes for faster spoolup, increases max flow, etc.

4) Upgrade from the stock EFI. From what I've seen and read, this is the truth. :( You can't trick the OEM computer (or adjust the fuel pressure) enough to control the bigger the injectors properly. You might be supplying enough fuel at high load, but maybe you'll supply too much at low load. Plus at a higher HP, it is more crucial that you have precise control over the fuel and spark timing. I don't think there are many Z's out there that run a bigger turbo using the stock EFI. One exception I know of is this guy:

It is incredible what he did, but but I don't think it was "bolt-on" either :mrgreen:

5) Headwork to flow better. The stock head is pretty restrictive.

6) Bigger turbo and injectors. The stock turbo is already pretty good to maybe 250+ HP, but runs out of steam at ~12 psi.

You could also add a cam, nitrous, methanol injection, forged pistons, steel head gasket, exhaust bypass, yada, yada. But going for it all at once I think is really tricky! :shock:

Even with the stock turbo @ 12psi and an IC, it was almost scary driving my car. I can't imagine what it will be like if I get to 300 or even 400 HP.:flamedevi

I hope this helped (and I hope it didn't sound like I was preaching or anything, just my opinions mostly). I used to think "hey I'll just buy a bunch of expensive parts and my car will go fast, what do I buy?" but I couldn't be further from the truth. I still need to search and learn more! :icon55: lol.

BTW, are you the same Miles from AZ that knows Ron and Max??

Good luck Man!

. One exception I know of is this guy:

It is incredible what he did, but but I don't think it was "bolt-on" either :mrgreen:

In that vid they say(in comment below vid) 27 PSI on stock internals?????? For some reason I HIGHLY doubt that cast turbo pistons can handle 27PSI. That car was definitely fast though!!!