HybridZ

blowing headlights

I have 78 280z that i have "up graded" to the crappy plastic lenses with the replaceable bulbs. I put in relays when i did the swap, and had absolutely no problems for a year and a half. Then a few weeks ago my passenger low beam blows. Not a big deal, my lights aren't that bright so I drive it with high beams for a couple of days until my driver side high beam blows. Bummer, so i replace both bulbs. I tested the lights and checked my relays, no problems, but as I'm pulling out of work that night i see two quick flashes and everything goes dark. I switch to highs, and see another flash, and I'm down to one high beam. I checked for frayed wires and bad connections, then replaced bulbs again. had no problems for a month, but tonight lost both low beams while pulling out of work. The only common element as far as i can tell has been the weather. Every time it has happened it has been cold and misting, like just before it starts raining. I'm not great at electrical, but I can usually fumble my way through. Has anyone ever had a problem like this before? What should I check.

thanks, Jason

Guest CDC# C29300

It would be hard to imagine an electrical glitch that blows up head lights and doesn't fry other things in the electrical system.

My guess is water is getting to the hot bulbs causing them to crack. Any air inside the sealed beams will burn out the elements in short order.

Make sure the bulbs are properly sealed. Try switching back to the stock set up for a while and see if the problem goes away.