HybridZ

Good looking car...electric

cygnusx1

I like the look, 80k is steep but not too bad when you compare it to a lexus. The deal killer is the 50 mile range. It may serve to cover the average comute but how many people feel comfortable riding around in there car with only 2 or 3 gallons of fuel in the tank? I need a reserve.

I can see it now, wife calls, car is out of juice again, I show up with the diesel pickup and trailer and tow it home to plug it in.

I would love to own an electric vehicle that I could trust to haul my family around in for day to day stuff that eats up most of our fuel. Give me a 120 mile range and I'll sign up.

Our gas bill each month would make the payments on that car.

The way I read the article, it seems like it goes 50 miles on a charge at which point there is a backup gasoline generator just in case.

This proprietary design allows consumers to drive the car emission free for up to 50 miles a day provided the car is charged every evening. It's conceivable that if consumers follow this daily routine, they will only need to fuel the car but once a year.

Buying gasoline for your car just because the old gas has gone bad sounds like a funny scenario.

Guest TeamNissan
The cost of electricity will probaly outweight the cost of the gas.

how many people will be comfortable driving the car without AC?

Probably? how about not even close.

My datsun d21 has no a/c, could care less.

Getting a little political here, but here is the reason for the short range batteries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel-metal_hydride_battery#Patent_encumbrance_of_NiMH_batteries

Basically, the patents to better batteries have been bought, and the patent owners refuse to let them be used in fully electric cars.

...snip...Basically, the patents to better batteries have been bought, and the patent owners refuse to let them be used in fully electric cars.

That makes sense. What great forethought for Chevron. AND it explains why the price of fuel has steadily creeped up after '98, and the oil companies' HUGE profits... BUY the competition, it's the Murcan way! (say that out loud if it doesn't come to you naturally)