HybridZ

Quick Questions on the 280zxt cv upgrade!!

01vincer6

The rear end is going back together and need to make sure im correct.

Parts used:

MM Billet 280 stubs

MM billet companion flanges

280zxt CV's 1 long 1 short

R200

New wheel bearings and Seals

So The Stub axles wheel bearings. There is 2 different bearings the inner and outer. The inner bearing has the flange sticking out on it?

The CV adapters. The nut gets torqued to 180 -200lbs.

The CV adpater bolts (6) that go to the CV get torqued to 20lbs?

The Shorter CV goes on the drivers side?

Anything else im missing?

4843_thumb.attach

...There is 2 different bearings the inner and outer. The inner bearing has the flange sticking out on it?...

No. The outer bearing has a "lip" [flange] on it to position it on the stub axle. Install so that the lip makes contact with the back of the wheel flange.

rear_bearings_thumb.jpg

Is there a difference between the sleeve on a 240 and 280 stub axle?

The spacer [sleeve] length is determined by the distance between the bearing races in the strut housing. There were three [slightly] different spacer lengths, designated "A", "B" or "C". Both the strut housing and the spacer are stamped accordingly. Just make sure the letters match.

I pressed the outer bearing on then put the sleeve on and the sleeve is preventing the inner bearing from sitting on the shaft. its actually 1/2 ways on the shaft and 1/2 on the spline.

You're doing something wrong. Check to make sure the outer bearing has been installed in the correct direction.

P.S. Please get and read the FSM. It covers the bearing installation in detail(!).

So this causes a problem. I cant get the cv flange to sit flat with the companion flange. The nipple that sticks out on the cv shaft hits the stub axle threads and wont allot the cv to sit flat. Which in the end puts the cv shaft at max compression which the axle is bound. I wish there was a post with step by step instructions on how to install this setup. With maybe a parts list for us newbs.

4844_thumb.attach

What happens when you add the inner wheel bearing to your pre-assembly? The inner bearing goes between the spacer and the companion flange, so it should allow the companion flange to rest just on the splines.

Using the Z31 non-turbo end cover will give you some more clearance:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=755207#post755207

Have you measured your new stub axle and compared it to your old one? Remember, you're dealing with aftermarket parts.

Well ross walked me through it. I ended up dropping the lower LCA and pulling it out then inserting the CV and bolting it to the companion flange which then I bolted the lower LCA back up. I do have the longer end caps like you pointed out I ended up pressing mine in further. I have 1/2-3/4 play now with the CV's. We need to get a more detailed description on installing these conversion kits and make it a sticky. There seems to be so much lost info that is not pointed out prior to install.

I have install the CVs without removing the LCA. What I did was I open up the grease cap, took the spring out and cut it in half. I put the grease cap on the outter flange first. Then use a flat piece of metal compress the spring on to the tripod and slide it over the grease cap and then let go. Lock the grease cap onto the tripod. It's a messy job if you don't want to remove the LCA.