HybridZ

Mounting an msa autocross SW

badjuju

I had this: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SWM/50-3116 on my '81. When I ridded myself of the vehicle (and cried, a lot), I removed the steering wheel to install it in my '73. Problem is, I've had a hell of a time getting it on... in the s130, it bolted on with three bolts. In the s30, it looks like there's no way to mount it down?

advice? go!

Something isn't adding up. You should have the adapter that fits the spline on the steering column. This attaches with the big nut just like the stock wheel. Then there is a bolt on piece a couple inches long (looks like a metal cup) that attaches the wheel to the adapter. Then the steering wheel bolts to the the cup. What part don't you have?

I've got the wheel.

I've got a black cylinder with an aluminum plate about 1/3 of the way forward from the back. The aluminum plate has three bolt holes around a big hole for the spline to shoot through. I think the black cylinder with the aluminum plate makes up both the bolt on piece and the wheel adapter of which you speak.

I tried installing a couple months ago, should have posted sooner. I believe my problem was that the hole for the spline was too big for the nut on the spline to hold it down.

I guess I just buy a nice thick washer?

I guess I'm still confused about the spline part. If the adapter fits tightly on the splines but the nut bottoms before it hits the adapter, then a washer should fix the problem. I think the stock wheel usually has a thick lock washer on it. If that wasn't enough thickness I guess you might need another thick flat washer too.

I guess I'm still confused about the spline part. If the adapter fits tightly on the splines but the nut bottoms before it hits the adapter, then a washer should fix the problem. I think the stock wheel usually has a thick lock washer on it. If that wasn't enough thickness I guess you might need another thick flat washer too.

that was the problem, you just jogged my memory.

there are no splines on the adapter. the adapter has a hole for the splines to fit through, but the hole does not have any splines.

the reason i ended up not installing is because the only thing holding the wheel in line with the splines would be if i wrenched the nut down like a mofo... not particularly safe.

I had a guy at MSA tell me a couple months ago, after I tried installing it, that they have different adapters, and now this other guy is telling me it's one adapter fits all.

Under the 280zx steering wheel there was a plate installed already that had bolt holes, which also had splines. Hindsight I should have removed that plate, but it came with the vehicle, while msa is telling me that this wheel and this black cyl that they shipped me is enough to run their wheel on any z, 70-83