HybridZ

Magnaflow mufflers

Anyone running the "4 round magnaflows?I was

looking at these mufflers at the goodguys

show and they looked as if they would be perfect for the z with no trunk hacking.

Anyone know how they sound?I am scared I

wont like it since I am so used to flow's.

I've been searching around for 4" (inlet pipe size) mufflers for my grand plan. I looked into the Dynomax mufflers, but they had the smallest cases for the straight thru designs in 4" pipe size. Also, I've never been impressed with Dynomax's sound or their designs. In fact, the three inch turbo muffler, I believe, is the exact same as the two and a quarter inch muffler... only with the larger three inch I/O pipes added.

Currently, I'm leaning towards the Borla XR-1 16" muffler. It too is a straight thru design and has a slightly larger case than the other 4" mufflers out there.

I was also thinking about going with a Flowmaster 4" (they do make them), but I think the sound levels might a tad too much. Also, I like the idea of doing something original that hasn't been done many times before. Besides, I've already got the Flowmaster now... time for something new. I just hope it doesn't sound like poop (my Impala with 2.5" Dynomax's sounds like poop frown.gif )

-Andy

------------------

"But I don't sit idly by,

I'm planning a big surprise."

Andrew's Land of Z and Honey

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the 3" single system I bought--mandrel bent all the way into a Y-pipe, immediately into a Borla stainless, out to the back of the car into a Dynomax Superturbo. Many may hate Dynomax, but I like the mufflers and their sound. It's the Flowmaster sound I can't get used to--too "hollow" sounding IMO.

I gotta' tell you guys - I'm starting to consider a single 3inch setup myself (sigh). Finding decent room on the passenger side for a fuel pump is a PITA in my car even with the fuel cell. I could run a single 3inch system into a nice big ricey stainless muffler and save all that room on the passenger side for filters and whatnot. Plus I wouldn't have to cut up the rear valence back there for the muffler pipe. How much clearance under the car would a 3inch pipe really eat up? Fit with a T56?

Guest Anonymous

Depends on how low you go bro... icon_smile.gif Actually 2.5's to a 3" Y behind the trans xmember is probably do-able. The only tricky place will be the slave cylinder, the right has a bit more room, get things even with your pan and you should be ok.. icon_wink.gif

Lone