HybridZ

need help with COP/wasted spark...

Mack

Im helping out a freind trying to megasquirt a 2jzgte int a MKIII shell and he wants it to run the stock 2jz coils in a wasted spark configuration. tried it with VB921s, no dice. He is using the stock 2jz 12-1 wheel for a crank signal and everything else appears to be working fine except for the ignition. Dont wanna go full sequential because we done want to mess arounnd with the second cam signal and alll associated mumbo jumbo.

SO, what we have is a 12-1 wheel, some 2jz coils (2 terminal, positive and negative, just like a regular coil) and an MS1 box with a pcb3.0 and I think he is running 029y4 code.

after I couldnt get something workable going with the 3 vb921s he already had in the box, I wired it up with a 5v pullup with a 1k resistor running spark off each of the LEDs and I ran the signal into the VG30E ignitors that Ive been using on MY car for the past year and a half without any trouble. It worked fine for a few revolutions, the started to crap out. and the LEDs stay on constant now. Im starting to suspect the board at this point, or perhaps a processor.

anyway, since Im running 2 ignitors off of each LED, should I use a lower or a higher resistance pull up resistor? does it matter? Its set to NON inverted ignition with dwell control set at 5ms while cranking and 3ms running with .1ms minimum discharge time.

sorry for the novel, just wanted to make sure I had all my bases covered. As always, any help is GREATLY appreciated.

is it possible that the flash was not done correctly, and that the current firmware is bunk?

Perhaps try downgrading to a more familiar firmware first, and trying that. This will eliminate two possible problems.

1) bad flash

2) buggy firmware.

That's a good place to start. Do you have a simulator to test the boards features?

yeah, i havea stim, but the board is set up for VR input, so its a pain to get the stim to give it ignition input.

Im going to reflash it to 029q code, as that is what I have running on MY car. hopefully that will take care of it.

I think you want the outputs to be inverted, otherwise the VB921 will be on all the time. This will eventually burn out the VB921s. If I remember correctly, the VB921 will energize the coil when there zero volts on its input. The LED outputs are a positive 5V output. This is why they outputs must be set to "inverted" in MT.