HybridZ

Doing a Unichip, is this the correct ECU pinout?

JustinOlson

I have a 77 280z with a factory rebuilt motor. I got a free unichip to put on my car. I found the pinout below searching through the forum. I just wanted to make sure this is the correct pinout for my 280z L28.

The Unichip Q is basically a piggy back computer. It allows you to retain the factory ECU yet go to larger injectors and pull back the pulse width (You can't really add pulse width. Most applications you go to a larger injector and pull out injector open times to achieve the proper Air Fuel ratio). It can also do timing control, but I'm not sure how much I can do with my distributor.

I will be pulling the factory mass air flow sensor and going to a MAF out of a Subaru impreza (have one lying around so its free to me). Also, I have to add a air temp sensor. I'm going to use my Innovate LC1 to tune it :)

http://www.unichip.us/unichip_features.asp

Here's the pinout/color/purpose in a 280z.

1/B/Coil (actually goes to the 4-pin connector, more on that later)

2/B/TPS #2

3/B/TPS #3

4/G/Start signal to stock ECU not used in Megasquirt

5/B/ Ground

6/B/ AFM #6

7/B/AFM potentiometer

8/B/AFM

9/B/AFM

10/L/Switched 12VDC from ignition relay...more on this cluster later

11/not used

12/B/to altitude switch-not used in megasquirt

13/B/H20 temperature sensor signal...2500 ohms at 80 deg F

14/B/Injector #4 switching pulse

15/B/Injector #1

16/L/GROUND..has a bit of yellow paint on the end

17/L/GROUND..has a bit of WHITE paint on the end

18/B/TPS middle wire (I put this to ground on MS-II)

19-not used

20-not used

21-G/Cold start injector 12VDC comes from 4-pin connector Can be reutilized as in my install

22-not used

23 thru 26 also not used

27/B/AFM

28 and 29 not used

30/B/Injector #5

31/B/Injector #6

32/B/Injector #3

33/B/Injector #2

34/G/Air regulator 12VDC lead I reutilized this (without the 12VDC naturally)

35/L/ GROUND..has a red mark on the end by the "DB-35"(datsun-bullcrap 35pin) connector

The stock ecu has NO timing controll, its all an independent system.

Mmm, I see. Maybe I'll be able to control the Auxilary Timing control unit as well. I really don't know much about the Unichip or the L28 ECU honestly. My cousin used to be the head engineer/developer over at unichip so he's going to step me through this.

Justin

The stock ecu has NO timing controll, its all an independent system.

Mmm, I see. Maybe I'll be able to control the Auxilary Timing control unit as well. I really don't know much about the Unichip or the L28 ECU honestly. I have a friend that is very good with them that is going to help me go through the install and tune.

Is there a pinout for the timing control unit?

Justin

If I'm not mistaken, the 280Z electronic distributor still used mechanical and vacuum advance...so to do any sort of tuning of the ignition timing curve would require adjustments in centrifugal weights, spring rates, etc. If you kept that distributor that is.

If you could somehow use this Unichip to delay the spark response from the transistor unit...you could advance the distributor mechanically and then retard timing with the unichip to get the correct timing curve. Of course, if it didn't retard timing you would be too advanced.

Please take what I just said with a grain of salt...as I've just been thinking about that while reading your post.

• 13 years later...