HybridZ

"trans-fusion"

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

well I am still struggling with the tranny budget. So I may be forced to use a 350th for the time being. Anybody who has run both that might clue me in to the switch from 350 to 700 r when i finely get one built. Is the tranny crossmember the same? Just how bad is the 350 on the hiway ? rpm at 70 mph? and mabey at 100 mph? HELP!!! i'm broke and I cant get up...ha ha ha thanks guys,Tony

------------------

74 260, early 350,K.B.pistons,edelbrock manifold,carb,and cam,202 cast iron heads.Let the transformation begin.

Takman 57, If you can, go for the 700. The first gear is incredible 3.06:1 and the .7:1 overdrive makes life on the highway a breeze. I posted this formula earlier and might help:

Engine speed=

mph X final drive ratio

------------------------------------

Tire outside diam.(inches)X 0.002975

With a 350 your final drive in 3rd (1:1) is your rearend gearing. With a 700 4th(1:.7) multiply your rear gear ratio X .7.

With a 3.55 rear 24.5" tires, and the 350, 100 mph is about 4800. With the 700 it is only 3400. Find a later Z28 or Vette trans.(wierd tailshafts) Study up on the TV cable and its geometry.

Motorsport has crossmembers to fit, or you can make your own. I see a lot of high dollar high hp engines with the 700s. Local 383 daily driven street vette low 11s, Carl Rossler 700 transmision, Precision converter.

You are very correct on studying up on that tv cable! I had a 700r4 with a performance shif kit,heavy clutches,corvette servo, 10

vane pump and some other goodies. I blew it out in 350 miles because i didnt know what i was doing! you really have to be willing to spend some money to get one really set up right. a guy down here that builds

racing trannys for people all around here

and with all the stuff already done to mine he quoted 1600 to do all the "race" stuff to it. If your going to just race around town that th350 will be just fine.

Guest Anonymous

hey guys ,, i hope i dont get my hopes up for nothing,, but i just found a site for a guy in San Antonio called"High performance salvage", he claims that a 700r from an 88 or later camero will take 400 hp no problem, and all I need is a relay tied into the brake light switch to unlock the converter. he sells them rebuilt for 600.00 or a pullout for 300.00,, so what do ya think ,, am I grasping at straws? Keep in mind I want a daily driver and a red light rocket,, not gonna race or dog it to hard.

[This message has been edited by takman57 (edited March 13, 2000).]

Go for the 87 and up 700s. If anyone wants the correct setup on the TV cable I could email the info. Bear with me though, 'cause I'm new at this computer stuff. I recommend talking to Rossler Trans. about the 700s. I'm sure there are many good trans people out there. Go for good reputation. Toy Shop Transmissions (909-602-5849) has a good wiring setup for the lock up. Just drop the pan and throw away the old wiring. 4th gear line pressure switch engages lockup. Only engages in 4th. The lock up brake switch cut off is a good idea, or the trans lugs/bucks in 4th at low speeds. Don't defeat the lock up unless you have changed to a non-lock up converter with all the requisite internal changes.

John

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited March 13, 2000).]

that sounds really good, make sure it is out of a z28 or firebird or vette because the

valve body in a passenger car or truck

will not shift where you want when your at full throttle. the govoner in those will probably shift around 4500 rpm. and you cannot modify the valve body for better performance. If it does happen to be out of a truck you will need to buy a valvebody

out of a z/fb/vette they cost new 300.00+

and you also need to buy a spring kit but those are cheap. I think i am close on most of this info but not 100%.....

Guest Locutus

TCI Automotive, has thier Street Fighter transmissions for around 1200 bucks, they are rated at 450 HP and 450 ft/lbs of torque. Hughes performance, FB Transmissions. also sell overdrive transmissions that are set up for racing. FB has thier 200 4r rated at 500hp. Look around for what you might spend getting someone to rebuild it. You can buy from a complete tranny already set up for what you need. TCI and Hughes Perfomance, are well known companies, and have good reputations. Something to consider