HybridZ

what wiring harness do you use?

well i dont know if this is been addressed but I am a lil curious to know what type of wiring harness's people are using for there V8 chevy conversions.

I will be converting to a 5.3 (lq4) wich to my understanding has all the same bolt patterns as a LT/LS motor. the only thing i am really not sure on is the wiring. i will not be doing the swap myself due to not having all the resources to pull it off (no place to store the vehicle and no cherrypicker to pull and put in the new motor), i will be suppling all the coponets nessary or shall i say major items that i can buy to cut cost on the shop buying and charging me for it (i manly want more labor cost than part cost).

i have looked at the painless harness but the thing i didnt understand was the ignition information. they say it is keyed for the gm/chevy ignition, does this mean i will have to splice into the ingy wiring of the Z to hook up to the painless? or should i go with a uni harness or a different harness all together?

basically what im asking is what has been your expirence with the harnesses that you have on your rides if your using a aftermarket harness. i figure might as well update all the wiring while the motor is out of the car.

sorry for any spelling issuse i typed this really fast at work

a few things.. first off an 5.3 is not an LQ4. LQ4s are 6.0s, next the LSx motors only share the same trans bolt pattern with the older SBCs (including LT1/4), also do not buy a painless harness... they are nothing but a pain in the ass, i have one for my LT1 swapped car and it was not worth a dollar. just use a stock wiring harness. just put it on there unchanged and you can come back and mess with trimming off wires you dont want/need later, pretty much just have to get power to it and thats all.

• 7 months later...

I bought a painless harness for my 77 280z and gave it to a custom shop to do it because they said they could. Now it is taking them forever because of all the wiring hookups to the column. (blinkers, ignition, lights, etc.) Is it possible for them to make it work with the stock ignition or do I need to get one from a GM car cause I have a small block 350 in it? Any info will help. Thank you in advance.

I used a Painless universal kit, the 18 circuit. It worked out real nice. I used the power door lock circuit to operate my keyless entry module when I shaved the door handles. When I wired the lights, turn signals, and wipers, I melted off the old wires at the contact points and soldered directly to where they are supposed to be. I believe I paid around $300.00 for the kit, but well worth it. I spend probably an additional $150.00 on support pieces. What I mean by that is, I bought male-female weatherpack connectors for lights and such. I also bought a fuel pump relay harness and headlight relays. Hopefully never, but I can probably pull my entire harness out with the way I have it in probably less than 10 minutes. I have pics somewhere of the connections at the steering column. I'll post them if I can find them.