HybridZ

downpipe choices for holset turbo setup

LeX

I'm trying to debate which will be a better choice..

I currently don't have the turbo elbow. My options are to purchase a turbo elbow, install that, then get a custom downpipe made off that turbo elbow at a shop, or the second choice is to buy the below dodge 4" holset downpipe and simply cut it and shorten it so that it will bolt to my exhaust I already have an exhaust waiting to be welded up to the DP.

The below picture is of a downpipe thats $167+shipping which is quite expensive, but buying the holset elbow alone will be around $35+shipping and then a custom downpipe will have to be made after that. Do you guys have any idea how much money a typical 'simple' custom downpipe is? I just don't want to weld a pipe to the holset so these are the options. What do you guys think?

this is the cummins downpipe i could shorten

69ac_1.JPG

i am assuming $~45 + a custom downpipe would cost me less money?

Guest 280ZForce

I think this is a repost of the same exact downpipe. Do a search, a few of us have made our own holset downpipes, myself included.

Actually, I just did a search and you posted this same question and choice back in December. And people made suggestions, myself included.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=128036&highlight=holset+downpipe

Your best bet is to have a shop make 1 to fit using a vband clamp to bolt it up to the turbo. The turbo requires a vband hookup.

I think this is a repost of the same exact downpipe. Do a search, a few of us have made our own holset downpipes, myself included.

Actually, I just did a search and you posted this same question and choice back in December. And people made suggestions, myself included.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=128036&highlight=holset+downpipe

Your best bet is to have a shop make 1 to fit using a vband clamp to bolt it up to the turbo. The turbo requires a vband hookup.

I was trying to get an idea for the cost of a custom 3" mandrel bent downpipe as I have never heard from anyone what a typical cost would be. (so i could decide to go completely custom or simple buy the dodge one and mate it to the previous exhaust (weld)

• 2 weeks later...

I am making a full custom exhaust. If you need the v-banded elbow, I can send ya one for $25. I used a 4" v-band flange to a 4"->3" taper, and then full 3" stainless exhaust from there with a Borla XR-1 muffler. I'd say that you will need about $200 in mandrels and $50 in straight pipe along with a $50 flex (if you want that, I definitely recommend it) and ~$20 for stainless hanger roundrod. The only other cost is whatever muffler (if you opt for one) to finish it off and welding costif you can't do it yourself.

Mild steel will probably cut about 35% off the cost at least.

• 2 months later...

cimg0487bp7.jpg

Dodge dealership downpipe works fine, although you will feel that it was a waste of money because they cut so much of it off to fit. As you can see on my motor being pulled, the darker pipe after the elbow is the downpipe from the dealership. Then you can see the horrible job that the exhaust shop did going to a 3" pipe... Dad made it sound like that would have a 4" to 3" piece to put in... rather they just filled in the 1/2" gap with a crappy weld. It was fine up front but looked horribly messy. In the back though, you can see where it was leaking out before going into the muffler.

Bastards.

OH and its probably best just to use dealership downpipe. Do it the right the first time around with the correct clamps and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys. This will probably be of absolutely no use to You. But, just for the heck of it..Summit has a 3" Dodge downpipe for 100$--but it`s for an 02 hw35y. I have a 02 2500,3500 model. Everybody talks about a vband, but I have a bolted elbow model(with a 2 bolt connection to the downpipe). When did they change to the v? Summit probably has that one too. This discrepancy may explain the puck hole thing--there is no shrouding to remove on the model I have.