HybridZ

ZGods, my car won't start

91_4x4runner

Update: I read that if you give 12V to the small connector on the starter solenoid, it should crank.

I plugged 12V into it and it didn't crank. It makes a loud click and does nothing else. It sounds as though its trying to engage but it just isn't making a connection.

Still needing your help, Zgods. Thanks again, Eric.

Alright... I suppose that this is at least a good way to document what I've done to get this POS car to start.

Everything I've read (read: searched) says that I may have a mad starter solenoid. I apply 12V to the starter and get a loud clicking noise but no crank.

I'll see about switching the starter solenoid from my possibly working spare tomorrow. If that cranks it at all, I'll probably just get a cheap starter from an autoparts store.

This happened to me a week or two ago in the middle of A/F mixture problems, I can understand how frustrating it is.

Check the starter. I know it sounds easy, I actually went through all my wiring before taking the starter out and putting in a new one, but when I got it in, the car cranked right up. I had just cleaned my injectors off the car and put them back on when I went to crank it. The starter spun a few times then shut off - and then never turned on again and the volt meter would go to 0 when I put the key in the start position. Sound familiar? Hopefully you got a parts bin with your car like me or have good Z friends - My new starter was on a shelf in the garage. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
The fuel pump is wired up through a switch inside the cabin and is in easy reach of my hand.

Here is a picture of the plug that I bridged to get it to run:

IMG_1263.jpg

Also, I've got many bad vacuum leaks... Does anyone have suggestions on hoses that can be eliminated from the system to make it more simple?

Thanks again, Eric.

Where does the other end of that green wire go???