HybridZ

Steering wheel shimmy fixed

I have had the infamous Z car steering wheel shimmy in various degrees for the three years on my 280Z. After updating everything in the suspension (wheels, tires, ball joints, hubs and bearings, struts, springs, brakes and all the bushings) during my LT1 swap I figured it would be gone…...….WRONG. I searched here and found a thread talking about "road force balancing". I made a quick call to Kauffman Tire and was informed they indeed have the Hunter 9700 machine to perform the road force balancing. An hour and $50 later the shimmy is gone, at least up to 60mph, I will check higher speeds this afternoon when I can get on the Interstate.

Deja, I had a shimmy on 76-280 from the time the car was 6 mo. old. I hit a pothole and blew out a tire. Last summer I put on new tires and had the RF wheel moved to the back and the shimmy was gone, it was the wheel, it was bent or out of round ever so slightly. 31 years of living with a shimmy, now I am a happy camper.

So apparently in 31 years you never rotated your tires? LOL! Back in the day I never rotated tires either, I would burn off the rears too fast so I saw no point.

BTW I love the color of your car. I remember when I would go to Mid Ohio back in the 70s I would always see the same Z that color, it was a 240Z not a 280Z. I had taken a lot of pictures of it, wish I still had them.

Deja, I had a shimmy on 76-280 from the time the car was 6 mo. old. I hit a pothole and blew out a tire. Last summer I put on new tires and had the RF wheel moved to the back and the shimmy was gone, it was the wheel, it was bent or out of round ever so slightly. 31 years of living with a shimmy, now I am a happy camper.

Actually I did not rotate them because I had 205/60/14 on the front and 215/60/14 on the back after I burned off the original tires.

Thanks on the color, I like it because it is so 70's and there are not too many in this color.