HybridZ

NZR: Looking for a DD

BobbyZ

I have been casually looking around for a car that I can drive to work every day. My commute currently runs a little over an hour each way so I need a car that is going to be comfortable but it would be nice if I could have a little fun too (nice windy roads on the way to work).

I was kind of hoping I could get something for around $2000 probably a little more. I dont mind if I have to put a little work into it but I want it to be something that wont require constant and expensive maintenance.

One idea I had was to wait for a good deal on a 280zx turbo with high miles. Hoping I could get one for cheap and then put in a few hundred dollars making it more reliable.

Browsing around on CL I found another possibility that I really dont have a lot of experience with. The porsche 944 N/A gets fairly good gas mileage and can be had for fairly cheap. I dont really know much about them though, heard a lot of praise though.

Here is one that I saw on CL for pretty cheap. It has some body damage but as long as the damage is purely cosmetic it seems like it would still be a pretty good deal.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/564178759.html

I just picked up an EG hatch(92-95 civic hatchback) for $600. My buddy needed it gone and I needed better gas mileage and less miles on the car then my current DD(93 Sentra) which was getting high 20's, and had 195K on the clock. The hatch has 134K on it, runs great, is 5-speed. Hes gotten upto 52mpg on it, but mostly in the mid 40's. The fender caved in when the tire blew out and coated the whole side of the car in rubber. A few minutes with a dent puller and some brake cleaner, and its hardly noticeable, and now I can open the door.

I too drive about an hour each way, to work though, and it adds up quick. Get a cheap civic, and use the money you save on the Z.

How about a 300zx. I know I cant fit into the Z32 (I am about 6' 3") but what about the Z31? Those seem to be cheap all over.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/564049179.html

I am just over 6' 4" and I can easily drive a Z32. We have one that is just bliss to drive. I have done a 5000 mile road trip in it without any comfort issues.