HybridZ

Hello...my name is Dummy

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

...man...I started on my transmission tunnel today and after I started bending tubing I realized that my tunnel cutout in the firewall is too wide and there isn't enough room for 3 pedals. I'm so stupid frown.gif All is not lost thankfully because I can just angle the first few inches of the transmission tunnel inwards so there will be room to move. I need a measurement for the correct width of the bottom of the tunnel approx. 9" back from the firewall. I'm going to be doing a T56 conversion so anybody with this transmission would have the measurement I need. I think it is close to 16 inches but I'm not positive.

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

Spence, Just idea here. There are tons of new types of trannys on the market now

like the automatics in porsches that you can shift like a stick. How about a clutch

pedal that is operated with one of your hands. Think about the rally cars that have the shifter mechanism that is two paddles near the steering column that you just hit

one side or the other for up-down shifts..

you could maybe fashion a celenoid and a relief valve to your clutch slave and have a switch for smooth or firm shifts (depending

how fast the celenoid controlled valve

lets fluid out of the slave cylinder.

Maybe i am crazy but your hands are much more precise that your foot...

Just a HIGH TECH thought...

Guest Anonymous

Wow...I just read this again and finally got the gist of what Myron is suggesting. Would a solenoid be strong enough to depress the clutch or would you use the solenoid as a valve to regulate hydraulic pressure from a pump? Could a PS pump be used to operate the slave cylinder? What would happen to the pump when the clutch was not being operated?

SpencZ

I think Porsche, Ferarri use a hydraulic system to actuate the clutch and shifter linkage. I would absolutely love to have a good manual like the T-56 activated by this kind of system. You could set it up to be fully automatic for drag racing or sitting in traffic, and full manual with paddles for spirited road course/street driving.

Guest Anonymous

I've ben surfing the net for high pressure solenoids and ran across a unit made by Power Aire,Inc. The valve is a 12V unit capable of holding 3000 psig of line pressure with fluid temps up to 220 deg F. It draws 9.5 watts (less than an amp at 12V). If this is used in conjenction with a PS pump I would think the system would be reliable and very easy to use. I'm not sure how you would hook up a system to shift gears though...I'm sure it would require a serious amount of work and money. Besides...it is just as easy to shift with your right hand while clutching with your left. The richmond 6 speed has those levers on the outside of the case. I'm sure slave cylinders could be hooked up to these and a logic circuit could be made to control the individual valves. This could be interesting!

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

Think of it like this.

An ATV (all terrain vehicle) with an automatic transmissoin shifts like this.

As you press on the shift lever the movement

of the lever first opens the clutch then

changes the gear and then as you let off the lever it closes the clutch. It is all in one quick action with one foot. I know that

this can be done.. how about an electronic trigger on your shift lever/steering wheel that triggers the celenoid that controlls the slave cylinder.. you will still use your

shift lever like normal but you will be

cutting out your clutch pedal and all its

attachments...

how about those companys that do conversions

on vehicles for people with disabilities