HybridZ

transmission compatability

DrEaM

okay guys this might be a dumb question but what transmissions can i use from different cars on a my 280z turbo car? i keep buying n/a transmissions for like 150 bucks and keep smashing them with stock power.. i don't really drive hard they are all just old and crappy.. what newer cars transmissions can i use with minimal to no modifications?

and yes i did search... for like 30 minutes but i still didn't find anything that answered my question

well umm yes your 100% right i should check out these "used" transmissions before i install them but thats not really what i'm asking here... i'm just wondering if transmissions from a 240sx or newer nissan truck are maybe the same or similar.. right now i'm in the market to either buy a transmission or have mine rebuilt. not trying to sound rude or anything i'm just not sure what to do with what i already have

My modified 82 zx transmission had 180k and I drove it like I was being chased, would not exceed speed limit much but got their as fast as I could! Remember, get up to freeway speeds is a safty concern as well as passing quickly.;) Never really had a problem. Besides checking out, run some additives to reduce friction?

mmyes mmyes you are right in assuming that it is a safety concern getting in and out of traffic in a timely manner.. i understand.. thats my thing also though i don't really drive all out i usually just use my tranny to get into and out of traffic without being slammed into.. here in Florida, on highway 98 people don't really look out for other drivers.. so how did you modify your transmission?

How much is your time to swap trannies worth? How many of these old boxes have you actually gone through? I have rebuilt several of these boxes. Only once did I open a 240SX transmission and find it in impeccable condition. In all others, the consummables were worn out (bearings/baulk rings/seals).A rebuilt 5 speed is durable unless you're just slamming gears and dropping the clutch with total disregard. The two obvious upgrades are the 240SX and Z32 5 speeds. Both will cost a bit to install though. Both are covered extensively in this forum.

yeah both trannies are covered in this forum BUT neither one of those transmissions (from what i've seen) is a direct swap.. at least the z32 trans.. i 've searched but haven't really found anything about the 240sx trans what i'm looking for is anything that would be a direct swap.. if not i could just get my 5spd rebuilt but i'm not sure how much that would cost..