HybridZ

Is this a water coolant sensor?

I'm about 75% completed with my car to get it on the road after fire damage and one of the issues I'm having is with my coolant/water temp sensor/gauge.

The coolant/water temp gauge on the car never worked and I never got around to looking into it until now. One thing that I noticed was a sensor type plug that was connected to the thermostat housing cover (see photos).

021108_12401.jpg

021108_12411.jpg

The wires were severed somehow and were disconnected. I'm hoping this is why my gauge isn't working but I can't find this sensor in the haynes manual or on another 73 parts car I have.

my car is a 1973 240z with round tops.

If any of you know what part this is and where I can get a replacement, please let me know! thanks

No, that is the 'thermotime switch' that has something to do with the water heating of the '73 flattop carbs (not sure exactly what, I never ran the flattops). Since you have the round tops, you don't need it.

The sensor that runs your gauge is a 1-wire in the front part of the lower thermostat housing (it's faintly visible in the picture you posted, with the yellow wire attached to it).