HybridZ

What to do now?

Guest oLdSkoolkId

Guest oLdSkoolkId

Hey Guys im new here ive tried searching a little and tried my own ideas

Me and a freind just got a 1972 240z From his aunt that was just sitting in a concrete floor garage

Ok It has been sitting for 6 years not started but the only rust is on the passenger door trim and has a new front end.

We got a new battery and it cranks and Doesnt start we didnt drain and replace gas just wanted to see

What is it old gas fuel lines clogged

it has BSR intake manifold and holley Carb on it and some kind of headers

idk but aftermarket

its a lime green color which looks cool

interior in good shape

Just cant get it to start

Any ideas how to start it first?

Thank You,Justin

PS Pics Soon =]

Never had to start a car that old, but this is what I would do:

Drain the fuel and replace it (including the fuel in the lines)

Drain the oil and replace it

Flush the coolant system and refill it.

Check the bearings to see if they are still good to go.

Check the belts as well.

Clean the distributor.

Check the brake fluid, and possibly change it.

I'm sure someone else will chime in, but that is all I can think of for now.

I would check the oil and smell it. If it seems okay leave it in. I would unhook the gas line, old gas probably has stopped up the fuel line. Spray some either / starting fluid in the holley carb. Try to turn it over and see if it fires up. It should one a few seconds. If all works, then remove carb and clean up. Drop fuel tank and clean out, also blow through the fuel lines to make sure old gas is out and not clogged up. Drain and change oil and filter. Replace carb and hook up fuel lines pour in fresh gas, use starting fluid to get it running and to prime fuel system.

Good luck

John

On top of what others have stated, I would also check/change the hydraulic fluid if it has a manual gearbox. Sometimes the seals on the hydraulic master cylinder deteriorate and the fluid will leak out or contaminate the fluid, especially if it has sat for a long period time….

Good luck....

Unscrew a spark plug, put the wire back on it, touch the end of the plug to a piece of bare metal on the chassis (like sand down a nut on top of one of the struts), and crank the motor. See if you see any spark. If you're not getting spark (or if you haven't shocked yourself yet, lol), the ignition system needs work.