HybridZ

how bad do I need a steel head gasket?

MJLamberson

well Im almost ready to turbo my car, I have the exhaust manifold, the turbo, and the engine. so for my budget set up all I need now is the zxt injectors and afm... but heres my question:

if I were to only run 7-10 pounds of boost on my NA engine, with the zxt injectors, do I really need a 2mm steel headgasket? I can put this turbo on my stock 77 engine, or a f54 p79 combo. which would need the headgasket more?

Paper is the best gasket to use honestly.. consider a head gasket as a FUSE.. too much cylinder pressure or detonation and POP the air is expelled and no damage other then a few hours of work and $$.

Metal won't pop.. they are pretty much permanent.. so if you detonate.. your pistons or valves or rods feel the damage.

But if your running really high cylinder pressures with alot of boost safely and the paper head gasket is designed to blow at lower pressures then a metal one may be necessary.