HybridZ

302 -> 260z question; What should I buy/make, transmission etc

stayTRUE

Hey guys, thanks for reading this, i tried to search my topics but didn't get a ton of usable information and I don't like bumping old threads to ask one question on other forums i frequent.

Recently acquired a '74 260z, perfect for me because I don't have to deal with the ridiculous CA smog laws when I swap. It's in real great shape body wise, garaged for 10 years, but it doesn't get a spark and so it doesn't run. I'm going to try and get it to move on the stock engine (actually from a 240z, the 260 engine blew long ago) to save me some time to build funds but if I can't get it to go i'll just bite the bullet and swap.

There is an older 302 sitting in the garage that my dad got for free to use as a spare for our 1973 Bronco. it's older, but it ran before it was pulled and it's been sitting on a stand in the garage since then. I would love to use this in the Z, but the Ford conversions don't seem to be as well supported by the aftermarket for some reason.

My dad has good fabrication skills where I lack, so we can build a good amount of stuff, but if there is anything that'd be a real headache i'll throw down some money and save trouble. Here is the question:

1) What should I try to purchase? Anything that is a real pain to fab up would be cool to mention here.

2) What should I make? Anything recommended that is sold just because some are too lazy, etc etc applies.

Last one applies to transmissions. I want to have a manual transmission, but most of the swaps I see use C(X) automatics. We have an NP435 in the bronco, but I don't think the gearing in it would be very well suited to a car like this :) What do you guys recommend for manuals in these swaps?

Thanks,

Connor

I've been there done that. With Z motors and ford 302.

Save the 240 and 260 motors. maybe they'll be worth something some day. The 302 is 50 lbs lighter than the chevy or

the datsun. Also, since the distributor is in the front, the ford 302 is like it's made for the 240,260,280 datsuns. I'f you use a motor plate, you can git it to serve as the strut tower brace, and front motor mount. As far as trans goes use the T-5. There cheap and available.

As far as the swap. This site has at least five, very detailed and proffessional swaps with pictures, and what you need as far as parts

are concerned. Not to mention the aftermarket. READ! No other site has the combined knowledge of these guys. Not by a long shot. Good luck.

I think it is worth it. My setup is carb for now. Mainly for simplification. Eventually I want to switch to megasquirt. I would think EFI might be the better route though now in retrospect (I might still go EFI). If you want to dump it straight into the engine bay with the stock stuff, tweecer.com probably has a module that lets you crack the EEC-IV and tune to your hearts desire.

I think it is worth it. My setup is carb for now. Mainly for simplification. Eventually I want to switch to megasquirt. I would think EFI might be the better route though now in retrospect (I might still go EFI). If you want to dump it straight into the engine bay with the stock stuff, tweecer.com probably has a module that lets you crack the EEC-IV and tune to your hearts desire.

if you leave it carb, you still need to get some type of fuel management?

No. Which is why I originally wanted to go carb. I am sticking to it for now for simplicities sake, but do eventually plan to switch to EFI depending on my experiences and future motor plans.

ohh o.k... thanks for the clarity... yeah i want to take it easy first since it's my first Z and my first v8 swap... if i'm not liking the n/a set up i'll probably hook a bottle up or some other type of force induction on the v8... of course a built motor to handle it..... and is your's running now or no? reading your avatar how long has it been down? and sorry for the threadjacking...

It was never up. I started this project with my brother at the end of freshman year in high school. It is now my sophomore year in college. He lived 2 hours away from me for a long time and I was essentially 14 when I started out. So yes, it has been a long time. We are making blistering progress compared to the past. Partly compared to the fact that I now live ~30 minutes from the car, I now have money, and I now don't have a girlfriend. The last two are a function of each other.

In any case, it really isn't that hard, somewhere about a year back though I decided to really go cherry. initially it was going to be a low cost swap with low cost parts. Somewhere along the line I went nuts and started throwing goodies at it. :)

If this car was in my garage it would have taken MUCH less time to complete. Alas it isn't. I can't work on it any time I like which is limiting. For a long time the ~1:30 drive was a huge obstacle as well as matching schedules with my brother.

I understand... I live in Oakland also... where does your brother live? that must be hard driving 1 hour away just to work on it... I know I was getting frustrated when I had to fix my aunt's van and she lives 30-40 min away from where I lived. It took about a month until I actually finished the car (needed a new motor). I had to drive back and forth from Oakland to Antioch every time I have a day off work or school. Also, I understand about the girlfriend and money situation... I was building my honda and it took awhile until i can gather up the money... Building the motor wasn't that bad, with eagle rods, low comp. pistons, etc... I still manage to bring my girlfriend out to dinner and stuff. but when it came to selecting out the turbos, man i had to go with the cheapest and smallest... My original plan was to use a t3/to4e .57 trim or a super 60. but i ended up with a .42 .48...lol and it isn't fully tuned....