HybridZ

Intake/head spacer for diesel manifold

myplasticegg

I have a diesel manifold and somehow i lost the top portion of it. I would like to adapt this to my L28 over the summer with a custom top box. My problem currently is injector placement. I have no issue with putting them in the top box and having them squirt into the runners, but I am not sure how that would have an impact on starting the engine. There seems to be a dip that might allow the fuel to puddle in the bottom of the rail without a strong vacuum. If this is not successful placement, how would a spacer between the head and manifold work out? I was thinking graphite for the material. It has no problem with the heat and the fuel should not be an issue. The injector bosses could be drilled into this with great ease. This setup should also be able to be repeated at a fairly low cost and allow the use of a already available fuel rail.

Any input to this would be awesome.

Thanks, Shane

They use a squirt bottle to spray methanol into hilborn injector setups to get the car started and that works... Once it's fired once, the atomization of the injectors will have the mix carried to the cylinders without much issue.

Aluminum spacer will be more practical, I don't know where you're going to find machinable graphite that will withstand the vibrations without compressing or deforming. Phenolic might work, but with the close proximity to the headers, that's probably out as well. Aluminum is used OEM for a reason, cheap, easy to machine and form, and durable. Think on it a bit, it's easily obtainable as well!