HybridZ

Tuning Q - Rich in 4th/5th Lean in 2nd/3rd?!

proxlamus©

Hey guys.. ive been going crazy trying to tune my car for a perfect 12.5 AFR over 100kpa...

I am having issues with 4th and 5th gear pulls being about 10.8-12.3 AFR depending on the temperature...

and in 2nd and 3rd gear pulls the AFR's are 12.8-13.8 AFR and it's driving me INSANE!

I can only assume 2nd and 3rd gear have the greatest load so it leans out a bit..

If i adjust the values so 2nd and 3rd gear are around 12.5 AFR then 4th and 5th gear are in the 10:1's.. really really rich.

any ideas?!

This is only under BOOST by the way I am presently running 16psi

Hey guys.. ive been going crazy trying to tune my car for a perfect 12.5 AFR over 100kpa...

I am having issues with 4th and 5th gear pulls being about 10.8-12.3 AFR depending on the temperature...

and in 2nd and 3rd gear pulls the AFR's are 12.8-13.8 AFR and it's driving me INSANE!

I can only assume 2nd and 3rd gear have the greatest load so it leans out a bit..

If i adjust the values so 2nd and 3rd gear are around 12.5 AFR then 4th and 5th gear are in the 10:1's.. really really rich.

any ideas?!

This is only under BOOST by the way I am presently running 16psi

I have a pretty strong suspicion...

In 2nd and 3rd you still run through the gears pretty quickly, so there isn't time for the manifold air temps to rise significantly.

You spend much more time in 4th and 5th under boost and the manifold air temps will almost certainly climb.

The hotter air temps will result in a richer mix. Any ideas on your air temps?

I went through all the menu options in Megasquirt and the only thing I can find relating to Intake Air temp and Coolant temp is adjusting the ignition =(

I can only think of warmup enrichment, but I am at normal operating temp... so regarding the temperature adjustments.. I dont even think Megasquirt can control this?!

Ted where would you recommend moving the IAT sensor?! Mine is on the charge pipe right before the throttle body (behind the radiator as you mentioned)

You need it after the intercooler so I would say the first bend on the passenger side. I have same problem right now with my car being n/a I will be lean if I sit at a light for awhile then drive it but once I move alittle bit and my IAT's come down then the a/f are perfect. I believe you can adjust it. Its in the code though.

spinning perhaps.

not reaching full boost in 2nd and 3rd. iat's affect ignition timing, not afr.

i take it the fuel side is set the same afr regardless of boost levels in the fuel side?

had a similar problem in a twin turbo lincoln i was tuning with megasquirt. small bumps in the fuel map under boost would create not so pleasent results

iat's affect ignition timing, not afr.

Nope afr's adjust fuel as well as timing. If you look at your injector opening time and then warm up your iat it will decrease. And vice versa getting it cold.

Prox, I did a quick search about a month or so ago and didn't find anything as well. So can't be much help there. Sorry.

• 8 months later...