HybridZ

Washers for exhaust manifold bolts

280Z Turbo

I'm changing the exhaust manifold gasket on my Z and replacing all the hardware while I'm at it.

Why are the washers so thick? Heat? Load?

The bolts are no problem but the thickest washers that McMaster-Carr has are 4.5 mm. The stock washers are 5-6 mm depending on how I measure them. (they are really warped!) Is 4.5 mm good enough?

I guess I could reuse the old ones, but it would be nice if I could replace them.

They are not "warped" they are made that way. The thickness is because you have one bolt or stud that is used to hold both a part of the intake and a part of the exhaust. When you install them make sure that the concave part of the washer faces the manifolds and the convex side faces the nut or bolt head. One last word of advice on those... make sure to use a high quality anti-sieze on all the threads, you will thank yourself for that in the future (and do not over torque them).

Dragonfly

They are not "warped" they are made that way. The thickness is because you have one bolt or stud that is used to hold both a part of the intake and a part of the exhaust. When you install them make sure that the concave part of the washer faces the manifolds and the convex side faces the nut or bolt head. One last word of advice on those... make sure to use a high quality anti-sieze on all the threads, you will thank yourself for that in the future (and do not over torque them).

Dragonfly

Thanks.

I'm 90% sure I was the first person to touch those bolts since 1981 and they actually came off fine on my car.

I was missing two of these washers, so I made sure to use the ones I had remaining to be shared with the intake/exhaust manifold studs, then I had a bunch of thick washers that were very similar that came off of my 300ZX. I just doubled these up for the two outside studs.