HybridZ

280z.. turn on headlights and car instantly dies

I was going to drive the z around to a friend's house and it was getting dark so of course I was going to use the lights. Car started right up and idled fine, but as soon as i turned on the headlights, or even just the foglights the car instantly died. It wasn't like the revs died off slowly, the car instantly died completely when I did this. I couldn't even flick it fast and flick it back and keep it running, the process was literally instantaneous. Any ideas what could be causing this? It's not like a parasitic drain that would slowly make the car run down and stop, but just like a smack in the face. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Ignition switch if equipped with one maybe bad. Had an old 720 pickup that ran like crap and the head lights would go dim when I hit the brakes. Hot wired the ignition and by passed the switch and the old beater ran like a new pickup. you can check the alternators on old Datsuns by disconnecting the positive cable from the battery while the engine is running. If the engine dies......98% chance the alternator is shot...................do not try this on newer cars