HybridZ

VG33ET is go

260DET

Briefly, the problematical VG30DET installation in a S130 project car has been cancelled so I'm left with a forged crank with matching flywheel and harmonic balancer, Scat rods, GT35R turbo and other bits which should be useable for the 33 build. I believe JE can do forged pistons, also to be added are custom fuel rails to use Bosch 14mm O ring injectors. Not sure if there is a bigger oil pump option available, new cams, springs and adjustable cam wheels are on the list too.

So what else is there? Any suggestions as to what is good/bad? Must have? Aiming for 500whp, no drag racing, just good all round performance.

Very cool. I definitely want to try out a VG33 sometime. From dyno's I've seen they make some incredible torque.

Oil pump wise I can't think of any that would be better, unless they used a higher volume unit on the VG33ER. The VG30ET had a higher volume unit than the VG30E so Nissan might just do that for higher performance engines. It could have been due to the need to supply oil to the turbo but I'm not sure.

You might ask around at http://www.z31performance.com. When it comes to VG's there's definitely guys there that know their stuff. Plus, I know they would probably love to see a VG project like this.

He wouldn't be able to use that though unless he were to swap in a VG30E crank...

Also, from what I've seen I thought the VG30ET oil pump was always a higher flow pump compared to the VG30E. One place I saw said the turbo oil pumps flow about 25% more than the non-turbo pumps. I'm confused now... like usual. :lol:

Guest Sharkracer

I don't think it's the turbo vs. n/a pumps that are different. Like racinjitter said, it's the auto turbo pumps that are higher flowing. I happen to have such pump, and it definately flows a few pounds more on my gauge. I also shimmed it a bit.

Yeh this oil pump thing is difficult to conclude, have heard that the 33 pump is best but whatever its got to fit the forged crank. Guess a Z32TT pump and cover would not fit, they shift some oil.

I'm actually working on the very thing right now. I'm fairly confident the VG33 oil pump will fit over the Z32 crank as the snouts themselves are the same size... but I'll know for sure as soon as the VG33 oil pump gets here. The oil pump is different than the others though though in that the oil flows to the left of the engine into an oil filter assembly, then back to the engine (from what I can tell by looking at pictures). They block off the standard oil filter location used on all of the other VG's. What I don't know, and need to find out, is if this can be bypassed so that the standard location can be used. It may not matter for swaps like yours, you may be fine using the VG33 oil filter setup but for my project it gets in the way. Hopefully I can get around that.

As far as the DE(TT) pump on a 30/33E... its a no go, at least I don't believe it would be safe to. The middle of the pump comes up a bit higher than on the VG30/33 to where the two bolts in the center top of the pump do not line up with the block. I don't believe there's enough surface area touching the block to where it would get a good seal either so the VG33 pump, if it fits like I think it will, should be the best route to go for a Z32 crank in a VG30/33. I'll know for sure by early next week at the latest. :2thumbs:

Ha, I looked at a Pathfinder VG33 yesterday. As you say the oil filter is on the left, which is a PITA for a turbo setup but possibly a remote mount filter setup could be used.

On the right a big engine mount bracket covered the space where the filter is on the other VG motors, I could not see what was behind it. Perhaps the filter mounting face is there but plugged up?

He wouldn't be able to use that though unless he were to swap in a VG30E crank...

Also, from what I've seen I thought the VG30ET oil pump was always a higher flow pump compared to the VG30E. One place I saw said the turbo oil pumps flow about 25% more than the non-turbo pumps. I'm confused now... like usual. :lol:

I don't understand why he wouldst use the vg30 crank? Personally I have seen 660rwhp with the stock crank. I know of a few other people that are going to be pushing their vg30/33's up past 700rwhp this year(hopefully). The material that the vg30e/t cranks is identical to the vg30dett. It is not cast.

Unless 260det, you are stroking your vg30? I haven't seen you build, but I will look further into your posts.

mtcookson, its ok it took me a long time to learn the difference about the oil pumps. The vg30e/t all use the same pump unless it was an automatic turbo. Only the automatic turbo's had an external oil cooler due to the extra heat that the radiator and transmission would create. (automatics have the tranny oil cooler built into the radiator)

Ha, I looked at a Pathfinder VG33 yesterday. As you say the oil filter is on the left, which is a PITA for a turbo setup but possibly a remote mount filter setup could be used.

Yeah, for me its even worse because the Z32 a/c bracket sits right where I think the oil filter bracket will be. I'm hoping I can either use a block plate or, more likely, a sort of diverter plate that essentially fully bypasses the filter setup and pumps over to the normal filter location. I was also thinking of doing a remote filter setup but I think regardless of how I do it, it'll need to be a custom plate that is as slim as possible for my setup. I'll know for sure as soon as the pump gets here, which I think will be Monday.

Perhaps the filter mounting face is there but plugged up?

Yeah, its still there they just used a simple block plate from what I've seen. Here's the diagram (second down) that shows the block plate on the top, right of center: http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/xterra-wd22-2000-2004/genuine-nissan-parts/engine-mechanical/150-lubricating-system/-c-532_14_391_461.html

From what I can tell, all VG33's used this setup too. The Xterra, Pathfinder, Frontier, and Quest. If there are others, I don't know about them.

I don't understand why he wouldst use the vg30 crank? Personally I have seen 660rwhp with the stock crank. I know of a few other people that are going to be pushing their vg30/33's up past 700rwhp this year(hopefully). The material that the vg30e/t cranks is identical to the vg30dett. It is not cast.

Yeah, I know the stock crank is definitely strong... though when was it determined they weren't cast? Actually, I'm 99.9% sure they're cast as I believe it was a Nissan brochure that said they were cast iron. Anyway... regardless they definitely will hold power, however, he already has a Z32 crank so might as well us it. One thing is an absolute definite... the Z32 and VG33 crank snouts should be way stronger than the VG30 snouts. I broke mine off simply trying to get the timing sprocket off and I think others have broken them from over tightening the accessory belts, which is common and easy to do.

mtcookson, its ok it took me a long time to learn the difference about the oil pumps. The vg30e/t all use the same pump unless it was an automatic turbo. Only the automatic turbo's had an external oil cooler due to the extra heat that the radiator and transmission would create. (automatics have the tranny oil cooler built into the radiator)

That's interesting, I'll definitely have to remember that. Thanks for the info! :2thumbs:

Thanks for that oil filter location info mtc, for a turbo setup the oil filter could be relocated to the right side of the block with the turbo oil feed taken from the left, where the filter was.

Having gone through accessory relocation drama with the VG30DET motor I understand where you are coming from with your a/c compressor location problem. You seem to have all the options covered though so I have no suggestions there.