HybridZ

Fastener Torque Specs

John Scott

Centerforce directions say to use manufacturer's specs, but don't include them. Being the weekend and a holiday I figured no one will be at their tech line. I now others are running the dual friction. What did you guys torque yours to? Help! my time is limited this weekend!

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited September 04, 2000).]

John, I just poured through the Chevy Power manual, 1970 Chevy overhaul and service manuals (I had a 1970 Camaro in high school smile.gif ), a Chiltons Camaro manual, and a big Chiltons for cars up to 1980. I couldn't find that torque anywhere! Most places emphasized slowly tightening them in turn to keep things square and to make them "tight".

I'd imagine they are grade 8 bolts. I think they are 5/16" diameter, right? Anyway, here's an excerpt from a manual that has torques based on fastener grade and size:

I'd use that as a guide. The issue is as with any bolt, you want it to stretch enough that the spring of the stretched bolt clamps the parts together. Too little, not enough clamping force, too much, permanently strecthed bolt (sometimes designed that way, i.e., some head bolts) or broken bolt.

I'd make sure to use a grade 8 bolt so that you can get enough clamping force.

Hope that helps,

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

John,

I found this information on torque specifications in my 1993-1997 Camaro Haynes Manual.

Pressure plate-to-flywheel bolts...15FT-lbs.

(then turn an additional 30-degrees)

A little strange on this but that's what it says.

Flywheel/driveplate................74FT-lbs.

Hope this helps out.

Danno