HybridZ

New MS1 V3 install and just will not fire up

wigenOut-S30

Well , I have 77 280Z, austin hokes old motor, L28ET( 440CC injectors), Im using stock turbo distributer and a MSD6AL with a blaster 2 coil. I have a MS1 V3 with a relay board. The ECU and map I have was tested on another Z prior to me getting and installing it. I doubled checked timing.( oil pump driver gear and distributer) My spark does seem alittle week. Right now. when I crank it over.. It just floods the cly. Im trying to get the Z ready for DNI and I am at a loss..

what file are you using?? are you using Ricks file?? ya please post up your msq. or i could send you mine considering im running the same basic setup. im running a stock block. head. and intake. and stock t3. with msns v3.0 460 highZ injectors. im having the VB driver control my msd-6A and then that fires a msd ss coil. with a lc-1 wideband and my boost set to 13psi. so ya post the msq so we can help ya out.

what file are you using?? are you using Ricks file?? ya please post up your msq. or i could send you mine considering im running the same basic setup. im running a stock block. head. and intake. and stock t3. with msns v3.0 460 highZ injectors. im having the VB driver control my msd-6A and then that fires a msd ss coil. with a lc-1 wideband and my boost set to 13psi. so ya post the msq so we can help ya out.

Yeah Im using Ricks File, where Can I host the MSQ? and link it to here? the only thing I have different setup is I didnt hook my wideband up into the MS yet. I dont think taht should matter right now though.. it should still start and run.. I just wont be able to log with the AEM wideband just yet..

e-mail it to me yz125mxracer2001 at yahoo.com. i would hook your wideband up just so you know whats going on.. and this may be a stupid question but its something i did and it made my car not start. have you hooked up the megasquirt to the manifold with a vacuum hose??? i didnt and it wouldnt start. and was just loading the engine up with fuel

e-mail it to me yz125mxracer2001 at yahoo.com. i would hook your wideband up just so you know whats going on.. and this may be a stupid question but its something i did and it made my car not start. have you hooked up the megasquirt to the manifold with a vacuum hose??? i didnt and it wouldnt start. and was just loading the engine up with fuel

I do have it hooked up to the manifold but I am Ting off the fuel pressure regulator. That should be fine huh? I will give it a shot hooking it to the manifold by itself not T'ed into anything.I do have my wideband hooked up.. just not going into the MS.. I will most likely hook it into the MS as well. I will email you my MSQ in a couple. Thanks for all the tips.. I really hope to get the Z going very soon so I can make DNI with it..

if we cant get this running by dni something is wrong lol ive been looking at your map and your idle values seem a little high to me. but here is what i want you to try. i want you to decrease you required fuel till it will start up and run. keep it running till its up to operating temp. then go back and re enter your required fuel to the proper setting. and while you have your wide band hooked up to your MS start changing your ve table till you get a solid idle.. also have you set up your distributor and then set your base timing?? thats all i got for ya as of now. ill try running this msq on my car tomorrow and see how it goes. oh and how do you know your putting tons of fuel into the cylinders??? just the smell? well hope that helps

if we cant get this running by dni something is wrong lol ive been looking at your map and your idle values seem a little high to me. but here is what i want you to try. i want you to decrease you required fuel till it will start up and run. keep it running till its up to operating temp. then go back and re enter your required fuel to the proper setting. and while you have your wide band hooked up to your MS start changing your ve table till you get a solid idle.. also have you set up your distributor and then set your base timing?? thats all i got for ya as of now. ill try running this msq on my car tomorrow and see how it goes. oh and how do you know your putting tons of fuel into the cylinders??? just the smell? well hope that helps

Yeah smell and the plugs are soaked..

Jeff if you can Email me your phone number..

zwigen@comcast.net

Thanks

Gabe

Does the car start if you push the pedal all the way down. If you have your tps calibrated it will cut all fuel. Also how does your tach look, injectors timing, and map look through megatune? It could also be a stuck injector. Pull them real quick and see the spray patterns. Make sure its not something mechanical before you start messing with your settings. My money is something is not hooked up right or injectors stuck. Good luck. 832-444-4540 Ted

Does the car start if you push the pedal all the way down. If you have your tps calibrated it will cut all fuel. Also how does your tach look, injectors timing, and map look through megatune? It could also be a stuck injector. Pull them real quick and see the spray patterns. Make sure its not something mechanical before you start messing with your settings. My money is something is not hooked up right or injectors stuck. Good luck. 832-444-4540 Ted

I calibrated my TPS. so when I go WOT.. it goes into flood mode and turns the injectors off, I also have a stethiscope and I listened to the injectors all clicking one at a time as the car is turned over. I went over all the wiring and it all seems to be right.. but I will go over it all again..

I've always had issues on new installs that if the map isn't right, and you flood the plugs, it's best to start with new plugs.

On debugging starts, I always floor it and slowly bring the accelerator back to get it to inject fuel so as to not flood the injectors.

Mario

Thats a great idea! thanks mario.. I do have new plugs in there but I think will pick up another set as well.

well i tried his msq on my engine and all i changed was the required fuel from 7.0 to 6.8 for my injectors and changed the settings for the high Z injectors and it started right up. wasnt idling very well so i changed the crank angle to what i have it set at in my msq. his was 60 mine was 43. so i think he has a problem else where.

Check for spark. Really sounds like you have very little spark energy. (obviously not enough to ignite the slightly off mixture.)

Are you getting an rpm reading in your tachometer?

yeah Im getting a RPM signal.. I kinda think spark is weak.. I am going to re ground my MSD as well. I wish I could find another MSD unit to try out..

Well guys.. still no go.. I drained all the old fuel and put in brand new fuel.. made double sure my timing is correct. In megatune it is 10btdc and I have the dizzy set at 10btdc via timing light.. still nothing. Is there anyway I can by pass teh MSD and hook it up with out using it? or I have access to a Accell ignition.. I dont want to burn up my ECU so I dont want to hook it up unless anyone else is running a Accell.? I am at a loss.. My book of tricks is empty.. :(

Yes. You probably have a vb921 coil driver in your v3 board (q16). if not install one and hook up pin 36 of the db37 cable to the negative side of your coil.

You will have direct coil control, which is what I'm running.

Yes. You probably have a vb921 coil driver in your v3 board (q16). if not install one and hook up pin 36 of the db37 cable to the negative side of your coil.

You will have direct coil control, which is what I'm running.

Im running a relay board.. would this change?? with the Pin 36??