HybridZ

700R4 question...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My 700R4 has a strange brief rise in RPM when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd when in drive. It feels almost like a "slip" or something. It's more evident the harder I am on the throttle. It did this before and after I installed a shift kit. If this is normal for this tranny, it sure is annoying!

Any ideas/comments gang???

Jeff

Sup John C? Another Canuck on the board!

Anyways, what did you do with the lockup? Cable adjustment is important as well. I am goig to manually wire my lockup when I install the trans. this winter. My 2 cents.

smile.gif

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

Drewz

Manual wired lock ups are only as good as your memory to use them. Run them in 4th for very long w/o lockup and you can ruin a trans. An easy fix is the harness from Toy shop or another trans shop that makes for auto lock up when you shift to fourth. Really only gear you need it any way. Don't forget your brake defeat or it bucks when you slow down in 4th.

JS

Guest Anonymous

I'm using the stock computer on the engine and trans. so converter lockup is controlled by it. I also have the brake switch unlock in use as well. I adjusted the TV cable per the instructions in the shift kit, and kickdown seems to work as it should.

This is the first auto tranny I've ever owned, so I'm kinda ignorant on the subject.

Maybe someone out there has a trick to the cable adjustment??

Thanks for the tips! Jeff

[This message has been edited by AZ240V8 (edited September 13, 2000).]

Cable adj. is simple. Push release button (hard to push!) and pull cable from behind until it is fully retracted/ stops. Let go of button, then throttle wide open. Cable ratchets into place. This is the only way to set the right tension. Had a lock up go out that caused flairing while in gear. The 1-2 shift is pretty nasty in the 700s. 2-3 will be much softer and slower. My vette 700 shifted much quicker 2-3 as my truck 700, but rarely enough to spin the tires.

JS