HybridZ

rear brake problem? HELP

i have an 83 zx and recently my brake warning light has been coming on while i accelerate. i searched hybrid z and the only thing that i found was really to check if my brake fluid was low or the switch on the ebrake was grounding. i check both out and that neither was the problem. the other day i had my car up on the lift at my school and with the car in neutral and the ebrake not engaged my left rear tire was locked up. i couldnt spin the tire unless i put a lot of force to spin it and even still it would barely move. also i noticed sometimes when i am driving my ebrake has no feel to it. like there is 2 inches of free play where if i pulled it there was no pressure. so if anyone has had this problem or knows what is wrong please let me kno. thanks

Yep!^^ I try not to use my e-brake due to a lock up of the slowly spinning out pistion on the rear breaks. If I ever have to replace the rear calipers I will get life time due to the poor design. The e-brake dose not even work that well.

As for the warning, the sensors have a tendency to fail. Take the warning seriously though untill you have made a proper assessment of the situation.

Eventally I will see if I can "upgrade the rear calipers".

is there an aftermarket or a different type of caliper i can buy as a replacement because this actually happened on my car before i got my licence on the right rear and i brang it to a place and the stock replacement caliper was like a lot of money. so is there a better one that i can buy for a zx or should i just try to take it apart and lube it up and rebuild it. thanks for the info

They shouldn't be that expensive to buy at an auto parts store. If you don't want to do that then you'd have to look at brake swaps, and there isn't that much available for a ZX. I've seen Wilwoods before, but they don't incorporate an ebrake.