HybridZ

John Scott & other 700R4 dudes!

Guest Fast Frog

Guest Fast Frog

John:

I'm toying with the idea of dropping that Corvette 700R4 tranny I bought from you in my 383 beast and using the WC T-5, that's in it now, for another project. I'm running 400-425 HP with my current setup with a Paxton SC @ 5lbs +/- boost. In the near furture, I might try an ATI Procharger @ 7-8 lbs of boost giving the car 450-475 HP. My question is, will that Vette 700R4 take that much HP/Torq? I don't race but every once in a while I really "get on it". But generally, I drive it moderately and sometimes briskly.

Rick

My buds vette is running aftermarket heads(not sure brand) roller cam and 1.6 rockers,ceramic coated headers(long tube), larger runners, injectors, larger throttle body, and a custom burned chip in a 91 engine,85 vette and has no problems for almost 2 years. He autocrosses all the time and it tis his daily and highway driver. Is yours stock? He had his done up with the stock converter and I think it is so sweet I am going to swap my 200r for a 700r4. The 200r is out of a 4.3 s-10 and is smaller than the t350 with steeper gears like the 700r4. He is more than happy with his. Just my opinion.

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

Drewz

The later 700s are superior to the anemic early 80s models. I would have to believe that the premium model would be run in Chevy's flagship, the Corvette. As I've said earlier, everything I researched led me to believe (and buy) the 87 up models were the ones of choice. We've all seen T5s holding up where the shouldn't. A few high powered Mustangs and an overely ZZzealous horsepower freak in Palisade, wink.gif come to mind. The lighter weight of the Z has to contribute to a higher torque rating of any transmission. Running slicks won't help a weak trans, but if you drive like me (more of the highway/ stoplight whippings)...I don't know and can't guarantee what a 700 will do behind a 383 with a supercharger, but I would think it should be vastly stonger than your T5. (I have an acquaintance in town running a 383 w/ 14+ psi in a heavier Corvette for many years, now in a Camaro. He would know all the building tips for 700 duribilty) Cold weather is coming, Rick. Sounds like you have a new winter project. I think the drive shafts are the same length as the T5 as are the splines. So, what happened to the Z project for your significant other?

JS

Guest Fast Frog

Yo John:

My other project is still in the mill!! With the parts that I purchased from M. Jackson (plus others still to come), I hope to get under way in about a yr to 18 mos. I'm just thinking that a Vette 700R4 in the 383 beast might make it a more drivable car. I might put the T-5 in the Velo Rossa, or even sell it and get another 700R4 for the new project. Anyway, I've got a lot of time to think about it.

I plan to be pick up the tranny, hopefully, the latter part of Oct. I'll let you know when. BTW, how's the newest addition to the family doing???

Rick

Two things I suggest to keep your 700R4 alive:

1) Shift Kit:

Some people don't like this idea. Personally, I never liked the idea much myself. However, the less time those clutch bands have to slip, the longer the clutch packs are going to last. Don't worry about breaking internal gears, they are just as strong as those found in any TH-350 out there.

2) TV Cable:

This one is simple and free! Keep that TV cable T-I-T-E tight!!! It's a very simple operation taking the slack out of thee cables, but many people unfamiliarized themselves with the procedure resulting in premature failures.

The bottom line for the 700R4 is to keep that clutch pack nice and tight. Listen to John Scott when he says that early 80's versions were junk. Up until '87 the valve bodies couldn't keep enough pressure in the critical areas. These early trannies are great for 140hp Z28's, but start losing it quickly when actual horsepower is added. In 1987, most 700R4's came with an "auxiliary" valve body. This was GM's solution to lousy fluid flow and pressures. By 1988 all 700R4's had the aux. V.B. This design was kept until the 700R4's demise when the 4L60 was introduced. I "believe" that GM went back to the single valve body for the 4L60 (which was really dumb). All I can say about the 4L60 is that is does NOT like pushing 4200 lbs with a 150 whiff of laughing gas (another story, don't get me started!).

Personal statements:

The 700R4 I'm running was out of an '87 Z28 Camaro 350c.i.d. (I think the 305's in this year did NOT have the auxiliary valve body). The transmission consists of a B&M strip shift kit, a B&M throttle valve (won't kick down unless >90%) , and a 3000 stall converter. I run a set of BFG drag radials and launch VERY hard on a 125 shot of N2O. My best 60 footer has been 1.605 (yielding an 11.30 @ 120). I've never once had the transmission slip on me (knock on wood). I need to find stronger half shafts and rear ends before I'll ever worry about the transmission.

-Andy

At 120-30-40 the Vette trans does not kick down providing WOT runs in 4th. A really exhilarating ride to 160+ and beyond if you have the aerodynams. 5800 in 4th was on my tach between 65th and 47th ave on highway 34. I won't do it again on V rated tires and stock Z body! Just gettin into the meat of the boost again, too.

JS

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dean570z

Let me add a few comments on the 700R4 trans. I think it is a great trans for a v8 z. I have one in mine, but it is coming out. Broke it. After I broke it I did some research with B&M, TCI, and a local drag tranny builder. Mine was an early 700r4, the weak point is the pump. This is where I failed, I stuck with the stock pump. It is like a 4 or 6 vane pump and cannot maintain the pressures, allowing the clutches to slip. Mine just internally came apart. My 350 puts out just under 400 hp dyno'd, but I installed the 700r4 for highway use to work (100 mile round trip daily, put about 30k on it) and it came apart while in 4th gear doing about 1800 rpm. It had a strip shift kit in it and the lock-out switch. First to second shifts were hard, second to third tolerable. TV cable was never a problem. I've decided to go manual trans now, just need the time to convert.

W. Dean Byers 570z